𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄.

EPILOGUE. isadora diaz

WHEN CADENCIA diaz says a lot of things are going on with her life she really means that. being marked for death... it's a lot to deal with. and cadie was choosing to sort of ignore that until she really had to face it. she didn't know what marked for death meant, and she didn't really think she wanted to actually find out. the minute they'd arrived back at camp, annabeth had made a mad dash for the athena cabin, her eyes frantic and tears falling from her face as she yelled something about books and the theta symbol. it was nice to see her trying to help, but cadie didn't know if there was much to help with. apollo, as much as she was still confused with the god, had made a good point. fate is pretty much always set in stone and she didn't think history books of the old would have anything of her curse. percy had said she could change it. but her eventual death seemed pretty set in stone to her.

she didn't stay long at camp, the cold air not really helping her feel any warmer after the numbing sensation of being told she's marked for death. a lot of things seemed to be happening to cadie and she wondered if the fates were somewhere laughing at everything that was going wrong. it seemed like this quest was the domino effect for literally everything else, and cadie didn't know how to deal with that properly. she wasn't equipped for the idea of having so many things happening to her. it was a big change from being by herself.

all these eyes on her, all these people who wanted an answer, all these people who wanted to know what was going on. all these people... all these people who wanted to know why cadie was slowly spiralling.

she might've accepted her fate, and maybe she could change it. but everything seems to contradict everything these days. she liked percy, she was going to die. contradiction. because really, how was she supposed to do anything but silently stay there. maybe she'd learn to like having a crush on a guy but just stay in the torturous 'just friends' zone.

contradictions caused a storm in cadie's mind. one moment it was death and then she was alive. the next she thought she'd found a nice god who actually cared about what happened to her, and the next she finds out he's the person who cursed her. she didn't know what to think of virtually everything now.

she wasn't the same cadie that was squeaking and was confused as to why those bronze bulls had stopped working. she had grown, if anything. and she didn't know if that was a good thing or not. she'd changed. she felt... scared, a lot more, but she was betting at hiding that. she felt more anxious, but again- always good at hiding that. she realised a lot of things, she'd seen a lot of things. suddenly playing in front of people didn't seem like the biggest fear she had.

so as she sat in the backseat of her dad's car, her step-mother beside her dad, the two of them chatting aimlessly... cadie to think about anything else that wasn't her fate or anything that was marginally linked. it didn't work, obviously, but she liked the idea of pretending it did.

to keep herself busy (because it was a long ride back home) she recounted everything that had happened this year. she started from spring, when she'd been antsy about going back to camp. how terrified she'd been of it all. then summer came round and she was definitely still scared; she just had a bit of a volcano moment. blowing up, sort of finding out new things from herself that she didn't know before. there was a lot that happened to cadie in the summer.

she thought to her birthday that had rolled around on august first and she turned fourteen. it was strange, and sometimes she still considered herself thirteen. she didn't think she'd grown that much. she was still a relatively lanky-ish person, and she really hadn't grown.