34. Make you a cake

Waking up next to Harlan never seemed to get old. I'd happily do it every morning with no complaints. This morning I woke up and turned over to see Harlan already awake and staring at me.

"Were you watching me sleep?" I asked rubbing my eyes awake.

"Are you going to think I'm weird if I say yes?" He threw an arm over my waist pulling my body towards him on the bed.

"Absolutely." I nodded.

"I was just thinking." He answered.

"About what?"

"Your birthday, you haven't said anything about what you were planning on doing."

It wasn't that I hadn't thought about my birthday. I knew it was just over a week away. I had even made a whole plan for what I was going to be doing for the weekend. My twenty fourth birthday landed on a Friday this year, I had decided to take the day off of work and spend a three day weekend back with my mom, bennet and Travis. Travis was starting school again soon at the beginning of September so I figured it was the perfect time to spend some extra time with my family.

Those plans were made awhile ago and now the longer I spent without talking to my mom the less I felt secure in my birthday plans.

There was also the fact I had Harlan now and I wanted to spend my birthday with him more than anything.

"That's because I don't know what I want to do." I sighed.

It was a lie. I knew deep down what I wanted to do. I wanted to see my family and I wanted Harlan there with me.

"I think you know and if you want to go home you know I'd go with you." He leaned forward and pressed a soft kiss on the top of my head.

I just nodded not wanting to admit it out loud how much I missed my mom.

"You remember your nineteenth birthday?" I silently thanked Harlan for not pushing me to decide anything right now.

I nodded with a smile. My nineteenth birthday would probably have been the worst birthday ever if it hadn't been for Harlan. My mom had been on a work trip and my brother had some soccer tournament so Bennet spent the whole day out with Travis. Not having my family around wasn't the worst thing but Kieran's grandma had died and him and Jade had left to go and spend the weekend with his family and go to the funeral.

I had been basically alone on my birthday but Harlan stepped in and spent the day with me. What would've been the worst birthday had turned into one of the best.

"It was one of my favorite days. I remember when I found out you were being ditched by everyone and I knew I should've felt bad but I was a little happy to have an opening to swoop in and spend the day with you." Harlan said truthfully.

My heart seemed to restrict and there was this pressure in my chest. It was a feeling I was used to by now, it was falling in love. Somehow I seemed to fall further for him everyday. I didn't even know you could love someone as much as I loved him.

"I'd happily spend every birthday just like I did that one. Even if we just laid out on the couch watching movies for most of the day." It wasn't even what we had done that day, it was more that he had came over and kept me company so I didn't have to be alone on my birthday.

"Not the whole day, I did make you a cake." He grinned.

"You tried to make me a cake but instead you made a mess of my kitchen." I laughed remembering that day.

Harlan had started making the cake when I had been in the bathroom. I came out to see him prepping all the ingredients. He seemed like he knew what he was doing but then I joined and tried to help him. The whole task seemed to go down hill after that.

"I would've been able to make that cake perfectly fine but you kept distracting me." He argued.

"I was helping you."

"Lies. You were flirting with me and wearing that black v neck that showed off your tits. I hadn't been able to even think about how to bake."

"You know you ruined that v neck." I frowned.

Whenever I had tried to help him he had decided to just throw whatever ingredient was in his hand at me.

"A real shame I liked that shirt."

I opened my mouth to respond but instead Harlan pressed his lips against mine and thrusted his tongue into my mouth. I was shocked for a second not expecting a full make out session but I happily wrapped myself around Harlan and relished in the feeling of his mouth against mine.

Right on the tip of my tongue was the word yes. I wanted to scream it out. I wanted to finally tell him to move his ass into my apartment so we could spend every morning like this. But Harlan was pressed against me and was capturing each yes with his tongue. And with each second my brain was turning further into mush.

The word yes repeating over and over but I was beginning to forget what I was even saying yes to.

"I could do this forever." His voice was husky as he pulled away from me.

I let out some jumbled words as his lips moved against my neck. How exactly did he expect me to think let alone speak right now?

His lips made his way right up the side of my neck to my ear.

"Marry me." He muttered.

The word yes was still the only thing I could even think about. That yes was repeating over and over in my head. This time Harlan wasn't there to stop it and it bubbled out of me.

"Yes." I breathed helplessly under him.