Chapter 21

Diana groaned to herself, because she already knew exactly what was coming.

     Professor Kumar went on with a broad smile, saying, "Mr. Lupin, Miss Greengrass, why don't you work on this assignment together?"

Diana went paler than she usually was.

     "Actually, Professor," Diana spoke up hurriedly, "I changed my mind."

     "But you had your hand up, Miss Greengrass," said the Professor.

     "Y-yes... but... I put my hand back down," Diana tried to argue as the rest of the class watched her with amusement.

      "As one of my best students, I would expect you to participate either way, Miss Greengrass," said Professor Kumar, her smile never fading even for a second. "The same goes for you, Mr. Lupin. I expect a great result from the two of you."

     Diana said nothing else. Instead, Lupin threw a quick glance behind his shoulder at her, before looking back at the Professor and nodding. Although before he had turned his head away from Diana, she caught him smirking for a quick second.

     Diana gritted her teeth together. You little sh

     "Great! You two stay behind so I can explain the assignment to you," said Professor Kumar. "The rest of you are free to go."

     There was a scrabbling sound around the classroom as everyone got to their feet to make their way out of the room.

     Heaving out a long yet quiet breath, Diana grabbed her bag before making her way to the front of the classroom where the teacher's desk was. She tried her best to avoid Lupin's eyes as he too walked up to the Professor so he could hear about the project.

     "What subject do we have to work on, Professor?" Remus asked politely.

     Standing beside him, Diana could once again smell the scent of chocolate and old books. And the worst part was, she liked it.

     Shut up, shut up, shut up, Diana thought to herself, trying to prevent her mind from thinking such things.

     "This assignment won't be too far from the subject we're studying now," Professor Kumar started explaining. "I want you to research on The Curse of the Pharaohs. Or as the Muggles refer to it, The Mummy's Curse. It's an old Muggle belief from decades ago. I want you to research on what it is, and work on the comparison between Muggles' beliefs on it and the actual truth of the ancient Egyptian wizards."

     "Yes, of course, Professor." Remus nodded in understanding. "And how much time do we have to finish the assignment?"

     "You'll have till the last lesson we have before Christmas break, which gives you weeks to work on it. That should be enough time, I think," she said.

     "We will, Professor," he said, a little grin forming on the edge of his lips as his eyes fell on Diana for a split second.

     "All right!" Professor Kumar said with glee. "If you don't have any more questions, you may go."

     "Goodbye, Professor," said Remus, nodding at her one last time before leaving the classroom.

     Although Diana stayed put on her spot, waiting for him the leave through the door before she turned to look at Professor Kumar again.

     Diana cleared her throat awkwardly. "Professor, I know you think that I — that me and him — but no. With all due respect, it really isn't what you think it is."

     "Of course it isn't." The professor smiled knowing.

     "Professor, I'm being honest!"

     "Of course you are." Professor Kumar winked at her.

     Diana sighed in defeat before bidding the professor goodbye and making her way out of the class. Although as she left through the door, she stopped in her tracks when she saw Lupin standing outside the classroom with his back leaned against the wall, his bag slung over his shoulder loosely.

    Trying to avoid his presence, Diana threw her head down before hurrying down the corridor. But she hadn't been able to get too far when she heard Lupin calling after her.

     She was forced to stop, but she didn't turn around to face him immediately. She closed her eyes for a second longer, trying to get herself together so she wouldn't lose a nerve.

     "Could I have a word with you?" Remus said from behind her, and she could sense that he had walked closer to her, now standing directly behind her.

     Letting out a breath, Diana finally forced herself to turn around and face him.

    "Yes?" she said flatly, looking up into his chocolate brown eyes.

     "I was thinking that we should better get started on the assignment. The sooner we start, the better. Near the Christmas break all the teachers tend to give us more work. It would be harder to leave this project for then. And we can finish it quicker together than alone," he said, although he then smiled knowingly as he added, "Unless you would want to run away from me again."

     Diana knew he was referring to what had happened at Diagon Alley months ago. Even though his smile was gentle and sweet as he spoke, Diana noticed the obvious hint of sass in his tone.

     "We don't have any other choice than to work together, now do we?" said Diana, folding her arms.

     Being raised in a family such as hers and always being overshadowed by her brother, Diana had learnt to hide all her emotions behind a disguise of coldness. That was the only way she knew how to deal with things. She didn't want to show that she cared.

     "All right. We can start by reading the Muggle section, then," Remus suggested.

     "Oooh! Can't wait!" Diana said sarcastically, clapping her hands together in mock-excitement.

     "Can't wait for what? To run away?"

     Diana raised a furious brow at him as she crossed her arms. "Just so you know, I don't find your sass amusing."

     "And I don't find your sarcasm amusing either, but I guess that's something both of us have to deal with until the end of the assignment," he said with a playful smile.

     "Then maybe I'll do this project all on my own," Diana said stubbornly.

     "Like you said it yourself, Miss Greengrass," Remus started, taking a step closer to her as he said, "We don't have any other choice than to work together."

     He then caught her completely off guard as he sent a wink at her before walking away, grinning to himself in triumph at her shocked expression.

     What the hell just happened? Diana thought to herself, standing there dazed as she watched him leave.