An Old Friend

Varian made his way to the meadow with Ruddiger around his neck. He would glance behind him every so often to make sure the two girls were following him. They tried to make it seem like they weren't there, but they weren't good at sneaking around. He sighed before turning around and placing his hands on his hips.

"I know you both are there. At least follow where I can fully see you so I can make sure you don't get lost." The alchemist said and he waited for a few seconds before both girls stepped out into his view. Once he could see them he turned around and continued walking.

Ruddiger nervously chittered into his ear and Varian sighed. "I know, buddy. I'm sure she's fine. This is (Y/n) we're taking about. She's a lot tougher than she looks." Varian reassured his friend as he pet him. "I don't understand. How are you not afraid?" Rosalie asked completely confused. "Because, unlike you both, I actually take the time to know someone before calling them dangerous. I've also known her for a long time. She's not dangerous and she won't hurt you." Varian said and both girls looked at each other still not understanding him.

"Aren't you afraid she'll put a curse on you?" Elizabeth asked. "Or turn you into a toad?" "Or make spiders crawl out of your ears?" Both girls added on things that they believed the witch might do. Varian turned to them confused. "I've known (Y/n) for years and she's only ever threatened to curse anyone. She 100% has the ability to do so, but she doesn't because she's not bad." He said and both girls were still completely confused.

"Are you sure she's not just controlling you with her magic?" Rosalie asked and Varian facepalmed. "Yes, I'm sure I'm not under some kind of spell she put on me. I have my own free will, because, again, she wouldn't do that. We're almost there. Whatever you do, do not, and I mean do not, disrespect the land." Varian said and both girls looked at each other confused.

"What happens if we do?" Elizabeth asked softly. "The meadow is the most important place in the world to (Y/n). I'm pretty sure she wants to get married there. But if you give her a reason to kick you off the land, she won't hesitate, and I won't try to stop her." He said and both girls glanced at each other even more scared than they already were.

They all walked a little bit longer before reaching the toadstool ring surrounding the meadow. Varian walked through with no problem and the girls stood in front of the toadstool ring nervous. Varian rolled his eyes. "Nothing bad is going to happen to you. It's just like the toadstool ring that surrounds the kingdom." He said and both girls looked at each other before walking into the meadow.

To the girls the air seemed lighter, they were filled with a newfound energy, and they felt relaxed at the new atmosphere. Both girls looked around them amazed by how beautiful the area around them was. Rosalie ended up glancing at Elizabeth not able to take her eyes off of her as her friend stared with a soft smile and big sparkling green eyes.

Varian lead them to the center of the meadow where (Y/n) would normally meditate. He stood in the center of the meadow and looked around. "She must be in the cabin. You both stay here and don't mess with anything." Varian said before walking towards the cabin.

Elizabeth and Rosalie both looked down at the flowers surrounding them. The princess saw a beautiful lily that reminder her of her best friend. She reached down to pick it when a hand wrapped around her wrist yanking it away. "I wouldn't do that if I were you, hun." A voice whispered in her ear making her breath catch in her throat.

"H-hey! Don't touch her!" Elizabeth said to the back of the witch's body, but she didn't look how she did this morning when she had found her. The witch's body turned to face Elizabeth completely and the color from her face disappeared as scream left her lips. The witch's entire spinal chord and ribs were exposed and the back of her black dress had strings that wrapped around her neck. The dull edge of a large black scythe was pointed at her.