Chapter 14.

As soon as he noticed my presence, his arms fell to his sides and he stepped away from the woman. She looked up at him and followed his gaze. I felt as though a patronizing spear had shot right through my chest when she turned around.

She was stunning.

Brunette curls fell buoyantly over her shoulders with highlights that shimmered in the light, like a golden waterfall of caramel, her skin was fair but had a slight tan and her complexion was perfectly clear. She was wearing a black cocktail dress that accentuated all of her curves with a suit jacket and nude heels that matched her small designer bag. Her height and hourglass figure gave her the perfect frame for a runway model.

I noticed that she actually looked in her late twenties - maybe Zach liked older women?

I mentally shuddered.

Even though she oozed natural confidence, she didn't seem arrogant as she smiled at me. Her warm expression was mirrored in her eyes. This confused me - I had automatically assumed that most people who were good looking were conceited by default.

A frown crept its way over my features at my shallow thought.

The room was silent for a moment.

I had absolutely, no idea what to do.

Fight or flight.

Stay to watch him explain who this person was and probably hate myself even more in comparison to someone so beautiful or leave to spare myself the details of their obviously cosy relationship?

In the midst of my thoughts the woman made her way towards me. She walked with such poise that I felt like she was like a goddess and I was Quasimodo.

She held out a flawlessly manicured hand and I reluctantly took it.

"You're Louise right?" she asked brightly as she shook my hand.

"Actually it's Lou." I responded quietly.

"Right." she laughed softly which made me feel more inferior - even her laugh was harmonious. "I've heard a lot about you."

I filled with hope at that point. He had been talking about me?

"I just informed her about your ankle." Zach explained nonchalantly as he strode over.

As quick as that the hope I had felt transformed into lead that fell heavily into my gut. Looking at them stood together, I realised just how much of a good couple they were and it crushed me. I just wanted to leave immediately and be alone to wallow in self pity.

"Ignore him." she rolled her eyes before introducing herself. "I'm Scarlett, I'm his-"

Girlfriend? Fiancée? Wife?

Her introduction was unnecessary. I forced a smile anyway as I interrupted her.

"Nice to meet you." I lied.

It wasn't nice to meet her at all.

"I would say I've heard a lot about you too, but frankly, I haven't." I told her, attempting to keep the bitterness out of my tone as I shot Zach a pointed look. His dark eyes narrowed and his jaw clenched as he glared at me.

"I'm quite busy so if you'll excuse me, I have work to do." I finished, giving them my back and storming out of the room.

Melinda tried to talk to me as I stomped past but I ignored her.

This was it. I didn't even care about my debt anymore. There was no way I was working for him. I would just have to get another job that didn't involve having to be within a two metre radius of that egotistical man the whole time apart from fetching his coffee and photocopies.