chapter 9

Well, this isn't as bad as it seems...

You thought to yourself, growling in contentment at the head scritches the mysterious man was giving you as you sat in his room in a very extensive silence.

Ever since dinner, he had been completely silent, from the walk to his guest room to sitting on his bedside, not a single word has been spoken. He instead opted to stroke your head, occasionally tracing your stripes or tamper with your whiskers. But the thing he appeared to do the most was to scritch you behind your hears or on the cheek. Clearly, you peaked the mystery man's interest, but you weren't going to pass up free affection from the admittedly divine smelling individual.

"You truly are a beauty, milady." He suddenly speaks, making you look up at him with mildly wide, surprised eyes. "It's such a shame you have to share an estate with a butler who can't see your magnificence..." you grumbled in your throat, immediately knowing who he was referring to. Tell me about it. "Grrrwr..."

"Hm... well... the spider never did have any taste... or honor."

Wait, what?

A soft knock sounds from the door, after which it opens, and an equally soft voice calls out. "Excuse me." You look over to see Hannah standing in the doorway, holding a jug. "Some hot water for you, sir."

"Whatever happened to your eye?" The man asks, in which the maiden hesitates in answering. Last thing she needed to do was rat her young master's brutal. "...it's nothing."

"I'm impressed you could still work." Replies the man, sounding quite impressed.  Oh, she's a tough one! "Mrooawr!" You piped happily, trotting over to the lavender-haired maid, lightly rubbing your head against her dress covered leg, making her giggle softly. "Thank you, milady." She gave you a light pat on the head.

"Hannah?"

Instantly, Hannah jerks her hand away from your head as you backed away from her and peered at the door, your pupils shrinking at the young blonde standing in the doorway, wearing a rather grim smile. "What are you doing in here?" He asks. His voice sounded light and nonchalant, but you could clearly sense the dark aura in his presence. "And what have I told you about touching my dear tigress? Tell me." Hannah turns, struggling to speak for a moment. "I... was just changing the water... and her majesty, she seemed-"

"Oh?" His voice grew to match his presence as he made a slow approach to the maiden, who you felt start to tremble. "Or perhaps you were seeking pity from wearing that silly bandage and acting pathetic for our guest? And to fool my dear (name) into sucking up to you?"

Oh no.

You backed up as you saw Alois grappled the poor maid by the back of her neck, making her drop her water as he forcibly ushered her towards the door. "GET OUT OF HERE NOW, YA STUPID TART!"

You watched with pity as Hannah dropped to her knees from the force of the push and get kicked by the boy. However, she quickly got to her feet, bowed to him and took her leave. Sorry... "rrror..." you uttered to her, as she disappeared through the door. Such a strong woman. Being able to take such abuse...

Why does she continue to take such abuse?

"(Name)." Your head snapped to attention, and you saw he was bitterly glaring at the door. "You should know better than to fall for her tricks. We've been over this a million times." He walks over to you and knelts down in front of you, tightly gripping your chin into his hand, the scowl still present on his face. "I'd better not catch you groveling to her like that again. Understood?"

Y-yes, of course. "Rrowr.." you replied with a nod of your head. Instantly his face brightens into a smile and he gifts you with a hug and cheek nuzzle. He then directs her attention over to the guest, this time looking apologetic. "Very sorry. Forgive her, sir."

"Are you certain she'll be alright?" The man asks, in which Alois scoffs, playing with your ears. "Who knows? I don't care for her much anyways, she's such an embarrassment... what is she thinking?"

You sank your claws into the ground at his disdain. How could he say that about such a loyal maiden...? What has she ever done to deserve such rotten treatment?

His voice suddenly takes on a wistful, almost plaintiff note as he rests his cheek against yours, tracing circles into your fur. "Well... at that matter, I suppose I don't know what anyone's thinking. Not even my dearest (nickname) here." He picks up one of your paws and played with your paw, spreading out your toes and pressing down on them lightly to see your slender (color) claws peek out from the tips.

"So!" He suddenly releases your paw and bounds over to the man's side, like his usual bubbly self, catching you off guard. How does he change emotions so quickly and easily??

He directs his attention at the large trunk near the man's legs, placing his hands on it eagerly.  "What's in this trunk of yours?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Been a while, eh?