17 | Jade

The restraining order on Cairo was dropped and no matter how terrified I was to hear that, I was prepared for something like this to happen, because even though I feared him, I know him

The restraining order on Cairo was dropped and no matter how terrified I was to hear that, I was prepared for something like this to happen, because even though I feared him, I know him. So, instead of sitting on my ass, waiting for Cairo to appear, I had a gate getting placed at the end of my driveway, even with me living in a gated community, a Locksmith changed my locks, and my security system was being installed.

My mother heard about the restraining order being dismissed and called me. "Mommy, I'm fine."

"Are you? They dropped the restraining order, Jade!"

I stood at the front window, watching the men build the gate at the end of the driveway. "I know that, and I'm taking extra precautions—my locks are being changed, a gate at the driveway, and a security system. It'll be fine."

My mother sighed. "Does he know where you live?"

"No. When Carla picks up Sarai she meets the nanny at a different location. But this is Carlo we're talking about, so I'm doing everything to keep myself safe. Don't worry."

"I'm always going to worry about you." My mother said, "Does he know about you suing the label?"

"Of course he does. He knew the day I filed it because my attorney called his. Let me out of my contract, give me the money thats mine, and I will drop it all. Until then, I'm doing what I have to do. I'm handling up."

"And I'm proud of you for that. But it's him I'm worried about. I mean you're going to be a legal parent over Margo. He could stop that."

Yes... he could.

The line beeped making me pull my phone off my ear and my attorneys contact flashed on the screen. "Mom, I have to call you back. My attorneys calling. It's probably about Margo."

"Okay, love you."

"Love you, too." I switched to the other line. "Don't tell me Cairo's tryna fight me on this."

"I've only heard from representatives of HBO. They are willing to compensate you, even for the amount you didn't receive the pass episodes that have aired. I looked the contract over and it's a great deal. All it's waiting on is your signature."

"All right. Fax it to me, and I'll get it back to you."

"Great. Now, about you becoming Margo's legal guardian. I filed the papers and someone else also filed papers that's gonna make it pretty difficult for you to become his legal guardian."