x. midsummers

Maelynn couldn't get enough of JJ Maybank. 

Despite their differing social standings, despite Maelynn's reputation, despite JJ's lack of prospects, and despite the fact that they were expected to despise each other, they managed to find solace in one another. 

JJ texted or called her almost constantly, raising questions around her house from time to time. She merely shrugged them off with a smile. She and JJ weren't exactly a secret, but her father wouldn't be the happiest camper if he knew his daughter was going out with a pogue boy. Especially Luke Maybank's boy. 

Nor would he be happy to find out Sarah and John B had been sneaking around together. 

Maelynn had heard it recounted firsthand from her twin. She sat and listened as Sarah described the boys' run-in with a chain and the scrape left on his stomach as punishment. It made her laugh a little. Then Sarah continued on, explaining how they went on an entire adventure to learn more about Denmark Tanny and donned fake personas to make sure the act was realistic. Maelynn had laughed. 

'Right,' she said with a smile, 'Because the names Val and Vlad for a couple of sixteen-year-olds are very believable.'

Sarah had shrugged in response. 'Everyone we talked to bought it.'

'Or pretended.'

'Oh, shut up.'

'Continue.'

Sarah told Maelynn all about her rain kiss and the beautiful dressy outfits they had bought for their act. She said it truly felt like something out of a movie. Maelynn couldn't help but giggle and squeeze her sister tight. 

'You're not going to be part of the virginity rocks club for much longer, by the sounds of it.'

'Neither are you!' Sarah shoved her sister. 'From what John B told me, you and JJ have been getting worse and worse.'

Maelynn rolled her eyes. 'I haven't even had my first kiss yet, S. I'm hardly going to get that and fuck JJ all in one go.'

'You never know.'

In truth, Maelynn trusted JJ just enough to let him take either or both of her firsts. There was just never really an opportunity with all the hectic-ness of the gold hunt. 

And now, being rich and all, she was readying herself for Midsummers. It was pretty much a celebration of being affluent and attractive. So stupid, such a waste of time. And yet she still liked the excuse to wear a pretty dress. 

As twins, Maelynn and Sarah had dressed matching every year. This year, however, they decided to break tradition and go separate. Sarah had picked a simple white dress and flower crown. She looked like an angel - complete with a halo, no less. Maelynn went with a long red gown. She hardly ever wore both dresses and red, so she took the opportunity for both. She also opted for little rosebuds tucked throughout her hair instead of the usual flower crown. 

kiara
i look like a flower shop hurled on me.

maelynn
jsdnvoudvhks
girl same
cant wait 2 c u now

kiara
ugh
imma make my escape asap
u coming with

maelynn
ofc i am
is pope helping his dad

kiara
yea i think so

maelynn
cool
ill b over there the whole night then

kiara
lol
gtg
moms gonna kill me if i keep complaining

maelynn
good luck
c u soon