CHAPTER 4

A few days have gone by, and things are still the same between Nathaniel and me. I found out his name is Nathaniel from Ana. You can guess how great our relationship is, given that I found out his name from someone else. I'm currently on my way to ask him if I can get a phone to call Mom and Chloe. I miss them. It's been too long since I last heard or spoke to any of them.

He's working from home today, so I go to find him in his study.

"What do you want?" he says, his tone harsh like always. His eyes are glued to the papers in front of him. I'm sure he didn't need to look up to know it's me. He must've smelled me.

"I want to ask if I can get a phone to call my Mom," I say, standing in front of his dominating presence.

"Why would you need to do that?" he asks, stunning me with his question.

"I miss her, and I want to know how she's doing."

"She's doing fine. I'll tell your Alpha to tell her you miss her."

"How do you know she's doing fine? Why can't I speak to her?" Why is he trying to keep me away from my Mom? He's acting very strange.

"I know because if she was dead, your Alpha would have informed me, and I don't want you to speak to anyone outside this pack."

"Excuse me, but why?" I ask, confused.

"Because I don't want you to."

"Because you don't want me to. What kind of reason is that? I'm not your prisoner. Why can't I have a phone to call my Mom?"

"I don't need you interacting with anyone from your old pack. This is your new home, so you will only interact with people from this pack."

"Why are you making these decisions like you have all the say in my life? You didn't even accept me as your Queen, and you're telling me to forget my old pack and make here my new home? Even If I make here my new home, I'm not going to forget everyone important to me from my old pack."

"You don't have to be Queen to accept this pack as your new home. You're my mate whether you like it or not. That makes here your new home. Do yourself a favor and forget about your old pack and move on with your life."

"You can't make those decisions about my life. I have a right to speak to my Mom."

"I say you won't, and that's final," he says, staring at me with those dark eyes filled with so much anger. One look at his eyes, and I know he's not going to change his mind. I feel so hurt that my mate won't allow me to speak to my mother for no good reason.

"I don't know why you're doing this, but you're being cruel." I feel myself on the verge of tears. I quickly walk out of his office before I break down in front of him.

I run upstairs into my room. I can't hold it in anymore and release the tears. When did my life become so complicated? Why was I given such a cruel mate? Why won't he allow me to speak to my Mom? It's not like I said I'm going back to my old pack. But what if I want to go back? It's not like he wants me, so why is he keeping me like I'm a prisoner?

***

I don't know I'm asleep until I hear someone shouting, waking me. I walk downstairs to find out who dares to make noise in the Alpha King's house. While I'm descending the stairs, I see a young man standing at the bottom of the stairway. He looks a few years older than me but not as old as Nathaniel. Now that I'm comparing him to Nathaniel, he looks like him, except he's lighter with his blond hair. He has the same blue eyes and muscular build. He's handsome but not as attractive as my mate.

"You must be Elizabeth. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Liam," he says, taking my palm into his hand. He bends forward and kisses my palm.

"If you want your hands to remain attached to your body, take them off her," Nathaniel steps out of his office, growling.