Chapter 28

I had another almost panic attack. Another victim of rape. Another death. I was sitting in Rohan's office as Rohan brought me some water.

"Sanjana, here," Rohan said as he placed a cold water bottle in my hand.

"Ro,"

"Hmm?"

"Why don't you ask me anything?"

"It's your secret Sanjana, I'm whenever you're ready you'll tell me," he said with a small smile as he tucked a lock of my hair behind my ear.

"What if... What if I never get the courage to do so? What if--"

"It doesn't matter, I don't want to know it," he said as he cradled my face in his hands and I closed my eyes.

"You're too understanding," I said, tears welling in my eyes.

"Why are you crying?" He whispered.

"Nothing, just overwhelmed," I murmured as he wiped my tears.

"Awe," he said as he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me in a hug.

"Thank you for being so patient," I murmured as I clutched his shirt.

We both sprang apart when the door to his office slammed open. In walked Sunil, followed by Monica who was grinning like a Cheshire cat.

"How is my favourite couple?" Monica asked.

She didn't even wait for an answer as she walked closer to us and then sat in between us. Sunil just shook his head as he dragged a chair and sat on that.

"What are the plans for Diwali? We came in to ask that," Sunil said.

"Kyu! Kuch hua kya?"

"We were just planning something but then most probably that lady will be staying..." Monica trailed off.

"I told Monu that she always stays for Diwali and we can't do anything since diwali is in 8 days,"

"Forget it Monica, let's just go with the flow,"

"Go with the flow? I wasn't meant to go with the flow," she snorted.

"My goodness you drama queen, just shut the hell up!"

"Urgh!"

"Should we head home, it's almost 6 and I'm hungry,"

"Yeah, let's go I'm super tired and all I wanna do is eat and sleep," I murmured as I stretched my muscles.

°

"I want that girl to serve me food," the old lady said as she pointed her finger in my direction.

"Ma," Vicky uncle began but stopped when that old lady glared in his direction.

I sighed as I got up and served her the dal. As I was placing the rice bowl, my leg slipped and the rice bowl dropped to the ground, shattering into pieces.

"I'm... I'm sorry," I squeaked out as I bent down to pick it up.

"Nonsense! Is this your daughter-in-law? I knew it this girl was trouble!" The old lady shouted.

Rohan was by my side as he helped me with the mess. My hands were trembling and my heart was beating frantically.

"Ma calm down,"

"Calm down? How do I calm down? You didn't listen to me when I told you that get Rohan married to Lalita! And then you got him married to whom? This used girl? This characterless girl?"

"Ma! You have no right to talk to her like that!" Mom snapped.

"Why? Your husband got a shameless girl like you! Rohan got this characterless girl who you guys probably don't know! A used girl! Do you not know her past? Hmm? I'm sure this cunning girl wouldn't have said anything! Why don't you say what you did at the age of 17 in Bhatinda ha? You gave yourself to those guys didn't you?! Ruining my niece's son with your dirty--"