Chapter 30

A frisson of terror slithered down my spine as I watched the retreating backs of the men exiting the room one after the other. Every inch of my body was on edge, twitching and trembling nervously at the prospect of being trapped in the same room as this homicidal maniac. But it was with absolute dread that I realised the true extent of my predicament: that as long as I was held captive in this hellhole, such instances were going to become a regular theme and I would have no choice but to face it.

"Hello Mia"

The silky drawl of Alex's voice caressed my ears, sending an equal measure of fear and pleasure rippling down my body. Fuck! I shuddered before tearing my gaze away from the door to face the unearthly creature that stood before me.

Dressed in an all-black suit, with the shirt temptingly unbuttoned till his chest, Alex looked ready to dominate any red-carpet event. His jet black hair that fell over his electric blue eyes, added to the effortless charm that radiated off him. My eyes trailed eagerly over his broad chest before lowering down to the layers of muscles that was packed behind that shirt. I bit into my lower lip when my eyes slid down a few inches to those well-fitted trousers that emphasized one particular area with clear precision. Holy fuck!

"See something you like?"

I immediately jerked up, heat rising to my cheeks as a feeling of shame quickly tore through my conscience. But when I glanced at his face, my eyes widened at the slight upturn of his lips and the mirth dancing behind those blue eyes. My jaw dropped in shock. Is he being funny? The fear that had gripped me, slowly turned to confusion as his smile expanded upon seeing my reaction. I was startled when I realised that there was nothing malicious about his smile at all. It was a genuine one. What the hell is going on?

"You look ravishing tonight. I'm glad to see you wearing the dress that I picked out."

Suddenly, all I saw was red. Perhaps, I had finally reached my wits end. Or perhaps it was Alex saying that it made him happy. Or perhaps it was the anger and shame that I felt for constantly gravitating towards these men who had done nothing but cause me pain. Whatever the reason was, it didn't matter anymore.

The fear that I held for the man in front of me was momentarily forgotten as my eyes narrowed and the words charged out of me with heavy sarcasm. "Well, it's not like I had much of choice in the matter, did I? Your goons didn't really give me a chance to pack a suitcase before shoving me in that car. And this dress is the only thing I got given to wear. So if I were you, I would refrain from feeling overly smug over such ill-informed conclusions."

Had I not been paying close attention to his face, I would have missed the way his lip quirked in the corner by a fraction and the way his brow rose a tiny inch in response to my outburst.

"Be that as it may, you still look divine."

His reaction and his words completely threw me off guard. I had anticipated his roaring temper or maybe even a slap but appreciative glances and compliments from Alex was definitely not what I was expecting. My fear at my foolish words quickly faded as I felt a blush come over my cheeks and ears. My heart fluttered giddily, bathing in the attention that I was receiving. Get a fucking grip! Desperately trying to force myself out of these feelings, I decided to redirect the conversation to the matter at hand.

"W-what did you want to talk about?"

"Ah yes. Why don't we get comfortable first?"

Gracefully removing his hands out of his pockets, he pointed towards the desk in the middle of the room. Hesitantly, I made my way to one of the chairs while Alex took the one behind the desk facing me. And just as I sat down and began to adjust my dress in order to get comfortable, my breath hitched as a low growl reached my ears. Hurriedly glancing up with worry, I noticed him staring at my breasts, his eyes flashing a brilliant gold before he turned away and took a deep breath.