Fat?

Brian was waiting for me as I expected. He hugged me real tight upon seeing me.
"You've definitely gained some weight," I looked down at myself, I didn't feel fat.
"Have I gained weight really?"
"Yeah, it suits you," he said elbowing me playfully.
"It's because I was not around your nagging ass,"
"Girl, you love me,"
"I do," I agreed as he drove off. He took me back to my apartment. I narrated in detail my stay in Korea to him.
"So you didn't think about Wesley at all?"
"Just a bit. But I didn't dwell on it, I went with the flow. Tae is not Wesley, there was no need to expect things Wesley would do from him. Its unfair,"
"You've actually grown wiser. I should see this Tae guy, he's definitely good influence,"
"Why do you want to see him?" I asked.
"Do I smell jealousy?"
"Boy you love me," I told him.
"Sadly, I do,"
"I really need help picking out a suit though," he said.
"I'm not your best man,"
"My best man is as good as unavailable. He's useless,"
"Does he even know you say these things about him?"
"Who? Charlie? He says worse stuff about me,"
"Queer friendship," I commented.
"What are your colours?" I asked.
"Navy blue,"
"I had a feeling you'd say that."
"Why?"
"It's the colour everyone who doesn't know much about colours chooses,"
"Penguin, respect yourself." We laughed together. I had missed him.

Tae video called thrice every day. Kookie just once. It was not enough but I  was happy each time I got a call from either one of them. Tae got so busy with work after he was promoted to a director position. He couldn't come visit. He had so much to do. 

For the next three months, we spent most of our off days jumping from one boutique to the next. Brian was and still is a horrible shpopping partner. All the suits we came along were not good enough, I wanted something that would complement his ocean blue eyes. Finally, we found a boutique that sold the most elegant men's wear. I picked four different types of suits and pushed him into a changing room. I sat outside and he tried one after the other coming out for elimination. All three were disasters, I was slowly losing hope.
Three whole months and nothing yet, with just another three to go. That was until he came out  wearing the fourth one. It was perfect, a business suit. Navy blue, the shirt a lighter shade of blue with gold cufflinks. It was just perfect. I stood up walked around him finally giving him a thumps up.
"This was made for you,"
"Finally, I thought you were gonna say no. Again,"
"What?" I asked him.
"What what?"
"Why did you say again like that?"
"Cause that's like the 30th suit I've tried on, you were bound to say no,"
"I'm trying to make you look good on your big day stupid,"
"I know Penguin, come here," I looked at his hands before attacking him with a hug, "You're a good friend."
"You are too," I said pulling away.
"And you are gaining weight fast. You even have a pot belly now," he said jokingly.
I rubbed my tummy defensively, "No, I don't. Stop saying I'm fat."
"Okay, fat is the wrong word sweetheart, you just look okay for someone in your condition. It suits you," he smiled gummily.
"What condition? Don't play with me Brian,"
"Shit. You don't know?"
"Know what sweetly,"
"You're pregnant," I burst out laughing falling back onto the couch behind me.
"You are funny," I said, breathless.
"How many times do you pee per day?"
"I don't know. Twenty?"
"Okay. How many mornings have you woken up with an upset stomach? Feeling sick and throwing up?"
"I eat cold food Brian, most days. So it must be that,"
"How many times do you cry?"
"Actually a lot. I've been crying a lot lately. I even cried when a dog died in a movie, I'm not even a dog person," I explained.
"And the gain in weight? It's not much but it's there. The protruding tummy?" He asked placing his hands on his waist.
"Brian I've been eating regularly. I should be gaining weight?"
"I've seen you at work. What's with the new obsession with doughnuts, chocolates and milkshakes?"
"Can't a sister have a sweet tooth anymore?" I defended myself. Brian crouched in front of me taking my hands into his.
"Mel, listen to what you're saying. I know you don't want to face reality but please let's face it.  A pregnancy shouldn't go this far without check-up. You survived the first and hardest trimester, you don't have to be all by yourself. This baby needs constant check-up, stop being selfish," he said. My eyes were already glassy.
"I can't be pregnant. It's not possible," I spoke more to myself than him.
"Don't do this to yourself. The signs are everywhere,"
"How am I pregnant?"
"I'll get you a test kit on our way home. Let's confirm this first before making assumptions," he said going to change back into his simple jeans and t-shirt.
He paid for the suit and we drove back home. He got me three test kits from the nearby pharmacy. Soon as we got back to my apartment I ran into the bathroom. I did the tests and sat on the closed toilet waiting on the results.
I stood up going to the basin where I had placed them. Seeing them, a huge lump settled on my throat going nowhere further. Two bright red thick lines were imprinted on all three test kits. I looked at myself in the mirror lifting my t-shirt to reveal my tummy.
It had grown. How had I not seen that before? How? Why? Tears threatened to fall. I had assured Tae that I was on the pill. I was on the pill. So how? How was I going to tell him I was pregnant? Would he accept the news?
"Don't cry. Don't cry," I pep talked my reflection  wiping off the tears with the back of my hand.

I walked out of my bathroom, Brian came forward meeting me halfway. Seeing the test kits in my hand, he just enveloped me in a tight hug. I didn't want to cry. Tears threatened to fall and I kept holding them back.
"Tae?"
"Yes,"
"Are you going to tell him?"
"What if he doesn't take responsibility?"
"From what you've told me about him, he's so much more of a man than that,"
"I'm scared. I don't know what to say,"
"If he loves you as much as you do, you won't have to explain yourself," I smiled.
"You're a good friend," I told him.
"I'm the best friend," he said making me laugh.
"You've got this," he told me, "And I got you?"