43

"It'll be okay." whispered Mei lovingly. I push her away, Mei looks at me as if she's surprised. What can I say or do for her to forgive me?

"Are you okay?" I ask shamefully, taking in her disheveled appearance.

Mei's lips quirk up and in those few seconds, i start feeling like it'll be okay. Before her grin drops and i begin to wonder if the smile was genuine or not.

"You're the one who's crying." scoffed Mei, crossing her arms. Here she was, comforting me while I was the one who messed everything up.

She really is a divine being.

"Sorry." I apologize, wiping my tears with my sleeves. "I'm sorry." embarrassed I let her see me like this.

"Stop that." she demanded

"Hm?"

"Apologizing, you haven't done-" started Mei before taking in a sharp breath, realizing her words were lies. A sigh escapes my lips, I fucked it up again. I want to promise her that it won't ever happen again. But we both know that's a lie.

I can't do this

"Maybe you should leave." I spoke softly.

Her lips part in surprise before they turn downwards. And I watch as her eyes begin to water, blending with her previous tears.

"Don't do this." she begged, grabbing ahold of my hand. But i can't make her go through this, over and over again. And I know this might be her breaking point, it is for me but it's for the best. I'm sure she's strong enough, I know she is. She has to be or else I don't know If I can continue.

"Mei, we've broken up." I force the words out, my mouth goes dry as soon as they escape my lips.

"No." She cut me off.

Her brows had furrowed in frustration, a frown resting on her face. I tense anxiously, my heart in my mouth.

"What?" I asked.

"We didn't break up."

Water, I want water.

I'm trying not to think anymore.

"Mei, you broke up with me. Yo-"

"No!" She gasped out.

I sighed. "You did."

"You didn't agree to it, you just told me to leave." insisted Mei as if it'd make it any better.

She looked at me, wanting a response. What am I supposed to say to that? My eyes searched for the answer in her face but to no avail.

"Okay." I replied, waiting for an explanation.

"We haven't broken up, Corpse." she stated "We haven't." she repeated before taking my hand in hers. I let her inter-whine our fingers silently. My eyes followed her.

"I love you." she confessed. A familiar, warm feeling threatened to resurface. But I pushed it down harshly.

"I love you too." I reply, and she smiles. Knowing my words weren't lies but I can tell she isn't so sure anymore. Her smiles falters slightly but she keeps it on nevertheless.