Bakery

The boy led me to a little closet and started handing me blankets, pillows, and other bedding. He stacked it high enough I couldn't see over the pile. He grabbed my arm and led me back to his bedroom, or what I assumed was his bedroom.

"You can drop that here," his voice held no emotion. He started throwing pillows into the corner of his room next to his nightstand. "You get that corner. Set it up how you want it." And with that he sat back onto his bed and continued reading.

I pulled my boots off and pried my soaking socks off my feet to let them dry. I shuffled through my bag to find dry clothes and noticed that almost everything was a little damp. I should've taken the clothes from the nice man.

"So... uhh. What's your name?" I ask the boy.

He doesn't even look up from his book to say, "It's George."

"Cool. My name's Dr-" I cut myself off deciding that revealing my identity wouldn't be the best idea. It seemed they didn't recognize me in the first place so might as well keep it that way. "I mean... I'm uhh, Clay. You can call me Clay."

George continued to read without acknowledging my existence. I start piling the blankets on the floor as I ask, "Whatcha reading?"

I watch as he looks up through his eyebrows in annoyance and then closes the book. He sighs and turns to look at me, letting one of his legs dangle off his bed.

"We don't really need to get to know each other right?" he questions with annoyance, "I mean, you're only staying for the night?"

Who pooped in this guys cereal?

"Well actually, I was hoping to be able to stick around a little longer, you know, get back on my feet or something."

The disgust on his face is evident. "Okay, well. I'm tired, so goodnight. If you need anything, bug my dad about it."

I raise my eyebrows, but comply. He climbs under his covers and turns his back to me before blowing out the candle that lit up the room.

Darkness consumes me as I put on dryer clothes. I shuffle around my makeshift bed to get comfortable before closing my eyes. I thought of all the things I left behind and how screwed I could potentially be in the near future. Hopefully the kind man that had helped me really did have some jobs for me so I could earn money. And hopefully everyone in the town was just as oblivious as these two.

I drifted off imagining I was still in a comfortable bed, too big for me, instead of a wooden floor.

***

I am abruptly shaken awake by George. I roll onto my back and stretch my sore muscles. I give a big yawn and George watches with unamusement.

"Get up you lazy bum. Do you want a job or not?" He says roughly.

"Jeez. Are you always this mean?" I ask with another yawn, sitting up on the pile of blankets.

He rolls his eyes. "With lazy bums, yes."

Seriously. This kid has never seen happiness.

"Okay, okay. Let me change at least." I get on my feet and rummage through my bag.

"Alright, just hurry."

"You know, patience is a virtue."

He rolls his eyes and trots down the stairs, leaving me alone to change.

I pull on simple black pants and a white shirt. I tie a green vest over my white shirt and pull my boots on. I sling my bag over my shoulder and make my way down the stairs. George and the kind man from yesterday are seated at a table by the fireplace. As I come into view, the man stands up to greet me.

"Did you sleep well, son?" his gruff voice holds more kindness than George's whole life.

"I slept fine. Thank you so much for your kindness. You're son was especially kind to me." I shoot George a sarcastic look and he rolls his eyes.

"Good good. I heard that you were looking for a job to get back on your feet?"

"That's right." If this is what normal peasants do to survive I guess this is what I had to do.

"And you don't have anywhere to stay?"

Oh shoot. I also didn't have anywhere to stay.

"Ah, I actually do not..."

The man looks sad for me. "What's your name son?"

What did I tell George yesterday? "Umm... It-It's Clay. Clay is my name," I awkwardly answer.

He nods his head in thought. "Well, Clay, how would you feel about working for me? I'll pay you by letting you sleep under my roof and eat my food. Any extra money you make on your own will be yours to keep."

I ponder his offer. I could work at his place, have somewhere to stay, food to eat, and be able to make some money. Sounded like a good deal to me.

"That sounds amazing. Are you sure?"

"As long as you work hard and earn it, it sounds fine to me."

I watch George face palm behind his father and I smirk.

What's his problem?

I was quick to figure out, as the three of us walked down a muddy road through town, presumably to the mans business. As we made our way down the road, the man talked about all the things I have to learn, although I wasn't paying attention. I kept looking over at George as he pouted like a three year old. Why was he coming with us anyway?

The man told me his name was Hugh, which I felt fit him very well. His broad shoulders, massive height,  thick facial hair, all characteristics of a Hugh in my opinion.

We made our way into a bakery and I praised internally. Finally, some breakfast. I'm starving. But then Hugh pulls an apron over my head and pushes me behind the counter.

Wait, what? This big burly man named Hugh, owned a bakery?! Not a stable, or a carpenters shed, but a bakery?

I stand in shock and watch George pull an apron over his head and tie it behind his back. He rolls up his sleeves and starts washing his hands.

Oh good. I get to work with George the grouch. Now I understand why he was being so pouty. He hates me and doesn't want me to work with him. Well now I hated him even more.

Hugh starts to show me around and I curse my bad luck.

A bakery... with George the grouch. I start to doubt the deal I made with Hugh.

Thanks for reading! I'm having a little too much fun writing this. Let me know what you think. :)

1135 words