Chapter 36: Bonding over shitty parents really brings people together

Chapter 36| Bonding over shitty parents really brings people together

***

After Aurora dropped that bombshell on me I decided class could wait. It was extracurriculars anyway and I wasn't part of any sport or art classes, therefore I couldn't exactly be late to my option of independent study.

If you weren't an arts prodigy or the next sports mogul you'd begrudgingly have to tick the extra study box on the options list. I mean, my singing was terrible. No really, I sang so bad it could wake the dead. In a bad way. A very bad way. My dancing wasn't that great, I only mastered the art of party grinding and dry humping - pretty sure none of the dance teachers would like to see that.

I had artistic talent, but that came every now and again and I couldn't risk artist block on an exam day.  Also because I was a lazy piece of shit and doing stuff gave me stomach aches. Or maybe that was just gas. Then again, I wasn't a very gassy person, I was just anxious.

Don't get me started on sports.

So I chose the safe option and so did my dad, seeing as he wanted me to take over his business when I came of age. He did something with imports and owned the docks. I don't know whether he was talking about the illegal stuff or the legal stuff. When I look back at it I think he meant both. A bit ambitious of him to think I could take on that sort of load. Either way he told me doing extra study time and reading additional business and econ books would make me a better thinker.

I'm still waiting for that to happen, I'll let you know when it does.

On my way to performance hall (stupid obnoxious name), the bell for the end of fifth period rang and everyone was swarming around me to get to sixth.

No one touched me or came too close because the scowl on my face made it clear I was pissed and if someone bumped into me my first order of being a mafia leader would be to order some hits. I'd use my dads illegal mafia connections and get rid of them. Haha, no I'm serious. Aurora did a good job of pissing me off and making me go further into an existential crisis and if someone so much as skimmed my shoulder I was ready to dial the burner phone in my bra.

I still have that by the way. It even had Tetris on it and I found myself a little more preoccupied on the toilet. My bio teacher wasn't exactly happy.

I stormed my way into Performance hall, startling the drama crew with the heavy bang of the stage door. Darlene was the first to notice me and charged forwards with a snooty scowl on her face.

   The stupid thing about Darlene Anderson was that she was unfortunately very pretty. Like many girls at this school, she looked plucked, polished and ready to stomp on plebs with her kitten heels. I don't know how she made them look dangerous, mine gave me an alter ego. One that was obsessed with wearing thigh high socks. I felt like that cool asian chick from Kill Bill. As a result it made our uniform a dirty old man's wet dream.

   Darlene's expression was ugly enough it turned that wet dream into a nightmare. She practically stormed up to me with that permanent ugly scowl she wore and her bad breath. My, that breath could make a grown man cry. Poor bastard who has to marry her.

   "What are you doing here?" She asked in that nasally voice of hers. Think Janice from Friends, but like...on crack. "Shouldn't you be in jail or something?"

   "That's my parents, dumbass," I waved nonchalantly, facing her head on with an equally glacial glare and thought I saw her blanch for a moment. "I'm here for Rachel. Family emergency,"

   She scoffed, flicking back her voluminous brown hair that made me itch with envy. The girl had a shit personality but ad worthy hair. It almost made me drool, but then she leaned closer to me and I caught a whiff of that garlic, onion and cheesy breath smell, and my soul went all the way to Memphis and back. Twice over.