Chapter seventeen

Playlist: Amy Winehouse - Back to Black.

###

Guys, I would really appreciate your opinion in comments about what you think about my book so far!

Thank you, lots of love!

###

I cursed under my breath when the third traffic light turned red right before I could pass past them, so I had to stop and wait until the green one appeared. I spent almost 40 minutes in a traffic jam. I thought at least I could get to my destination faster in my car and not a taxi, so I could exceed the speed limit, but even the traffic lights were against me today. I looked in the rearview mirror and took out the red lipstick from the bag. I applied it to my lips, making them look more fresh and colorful. It was hard to see the road through the black veil on my face, but for me, there's nothing impossible. I look pretty good with this veil, it ideally matches with my lipstick and the smoky eyes I have made before I left my flat.

The non-stop honks behind me were deafening me, signaling to move. Only then I noticed that the traffic light turned green and I was still standing, looking in the mirror.

''Fuck off!'' I yelled in my open window, ''I'm not blind, I can see the fucking lights!'' My jaw clenched when I snapped and rolled my eyes as I looked at all the cars behind, waiting for me to drive.

I looked in the mirror for the last time, adjusted my hat, and moved away, stopping the continuous stream of honking.

Looking around and holding the wheel with one hand, I reached out to my phone, which fell to the floor near the passenger seat. Checking my phone for new messages, I hadn't found anything. It's kind of bizarre, I thought there'd be hundreds of texts with threats and angry emails because I was late, but there's nothing. The corners of my mouth turned upwards, showing the astonishment on my face.

''Ugh, son of a bitch.'' I sighed, dropping my phone to the seat next to me, and adjusted the hat, which moved a little bit off my head.

I guess I haven't been at my best since this morning and the traffic makes it worse. At first, I got mad at my alarm clock for not giving me a chance to sleep to my heart content, so I had to turn it off a few times. Then when I realized I'd overslept and was already late, I got out of bed and just started screaming out of spite. Never in my life have I been in such a hurry. I imagine how happy I will be to clean up the mess I left in my room, trying to find an appropriate outfit. After half an hour of running around my room, I was already leaving the apartment. After this marathon, I felt like a squeezed lemon, and I couldn't catch up on breathing for a while. But I'm glad I look as stunning as ever. Dressed to kill as people say.

So now I decide to ignore the red light and get this intersection over as quickly as possible.

''Damn, I'm the only one of all people who can be late for the funeral.'' I was more than unimpressed.

2 days earlier.

''Please, don't tell me you know them...'' I was only annoyed because I knew the answer to my own question.

Three pairs of eyes were staring at me confusingly. I can't say my reaction was any different than theirs'.

''You can't even have a smoke without any adventures,'' Cody muttered through his teeth.

He wasn't kidding when he said he has eyes on me because how else to explain the fact he knows what I was doing outside or is it just me smelling like cigarettes, but there's still a lot of distance between us. I don't think he smelled my scent.