Chapter 24

Pepper was the first to noticed that something was wrong. She was even faster than Natasha. Peter immediately got into the car, he avoided looking at Michelle, and the brunette herself stood there on the sidewalk, looking like a pile of misfortune. Pepper immediately unbuckled her belt and felt the curious glances of her friends, but she didn't have time to answer any questions. She got out of the car and headed straight for Michelle, who was gripping the straps of her backpack a little too tightly.

"Hello, Michelle," she greeted her from a distance and gave her a smile. "I'm sorry to surprise you like this, I know I should have sent you a message at least after Peter, but I was wondering if you'd like to go to the dress rehearsal with us today, what do you think? I'd be very happy if you were at my and Tony's wedding, you know."

"Hello," MJ said softly, glaring at her shoes. Pepper was now 100 percent sure something must have happened, the blind must have seen it. "I... I don't know. Do you think that's a good idea?"

"Of course," Pepper assured her gently, grabbing her hand. "We love you and want you not only at our wedding but at the rehearsal as well. If you want," she added hurriedly, then winked at her. "The other eye of the artist is always useful. So what do you think, would you like to go?"

Michelle didn't answer right away. She lost her eyes inconspicuously to the other car, where Tony, Bruce, Rhodey, and Peter were sitting. Pepper sensed that she was looking at them, and because she suspected that something must have happened between her and Peter, which terrified her because what she knew, the two had never argued before, she quickly added, "Um, I should probably add that it will be a purely women's matter. Well, we took Tommy with us, because he's one of my best friends and he'll be my advisor."

"Well — okay then," Michelle stammered. "But only if I'm not too much trouble—"

"Don't say nonsense like that, honey. Come on," she took her hand tighter and led her to the car. But before they got in, she pulled her into a short embrace, which surprised MJ. "I noticed that you and Peter must have been arguing. I know maybe you don't want to talk, but if you want, I'm here for you. I know how impulsive he can be, and quarrels are annoying. Think about it, and when I take you home after the rehearsal, we could stop somewhere along the way and you'd tell me what happened. I know you might want to discuss this with your family, I'm just Peter's mom, but—"

"No, that's fine, I - I really appreciate it, really. If I will change my mind, I will tell you. Then," Michelle said quickly, and she felt her heart jump at the thought of discussing something like this with her own family, she almost looked guiltily at the car Peter was sitting in. Pepper smiled at her and let her sit back to make sure she can fit in with Laura and Tommy.

"Laura, Tommy, this is Michelle Jones, Peter's girlfriend. Michelle, these are Laura and Tommy," Natasha introduced them from the passenger seat before Pepper got in.

"To put it bluntly, Laura and Tommy each have different surnames, and they're definitely not a couple," Tommy grinned at the girl. Laura laughed and shook her hand with her, and then it was his turn. "Nice to meet you, Peter's girlfriend. What do you think I could call you Shell? Shelly? Chelle? Pepper told me you like to draw, so I think you'd like a short stage name like that," Tommy said. Pepper drove off and looked in the mirror at MJ, who gave her an apologetic smile and told her that Tommy was pretty talkative.

MJ barely noticed. She smiled at everyone and spoke only when it was absolutely necessary, but otherwise, she was quiet. Even during dress rehearsal. She kept thinking about the two words — Peter's girlfriend — and sadly wondered if she could still wear the label after today's quarrel.

•••

She got home about three hours later. Pepper dropped Laura, Tommy, and Natasha along the way, and Michelle wasn't surprised, knowing from Peter that Agent Romanov and Dr. Banner no longer lived with them.

"Will you please take me home, too?" she asked the strawberry-blond woman in a low voice. She was tired, sad, and she didn't want to deal with anything anymore. And not with Peter's mother at all, though she really liked her very much. But now she longed only for solitude, for her room, where she would take refuge and hide from the outside world for a few hours.

"Of course," Pepper assured her, and for a few moments, there was a silence in the car that only disturbed the roar of the engine. It wasn't until a moment later that the woman said, "You'll work it out again soon, don't worry. He really likes you and wouldn't let one quarrel deprive him of you. He cares a lot about you."

Michelle was silent. She looked out the window at the streets full of people and pressed her lips tightly to avoid tears. Pepper was sure they were arguing just for some pettiness. But MJ lied to Peter and he thought she didn't believe him - though it was definitely not true. She trusted him like no one else. But it was hard for her to talk about her family, and besides, she didn't want Peter to get involved and try to solve something for her, because that's exactly what he was, even though he meant it well. But she really didn't want to involve him, and she didn't want to worry him, because he'd had more than enough of it in the last few months. But at the same time, she knew he wouldn't let her explained it, or at least not now. And then how can they solve something? On the other hand, she was afraid that if she tried to explain it to him, her voice would betray her, and she still wouldn't be able to make a sound.

It doesn't change the fact that you're lying to me.

Pepper said something else, but Michelle realized she wasn't really listening to her. She was glad she gave her space and didn't force her to deal with her. When she stopped in front of the house where she lived, she quickly thanked her, grateful that she had this day behind her. She hurried out of the car and hurried inside so that Pepper could not see her tears, for which she cursed inwardly.