Southampton

For the second time, my clothes were scattered everywhere as I searched for something to wear. A reunion party? That sounded semi-formal. Well it was their reunion not mine.
I wore black sweat pants, a brown t-shirt, a pair of black slides and took a handbag. I let my hair fall to just above my shoulders in a messy afro. Not that I was a hair person before but it seemed to worsen with the pregnancy. I was becoming more reckless.
Brian came to pick me up a good twenty minutes later. I was so hungry from all the waiting but I couldn't eat my emergency doughnut with Dr perfect eyeing me suspiciously. The two hour drive to Southampton was so tiring. It felt like I had just walked all the way to Ireland and back. Damned pregnancy. I got tired real easy too. He did not agree with my absurd dressing but I had told him it was pregnancy hormones. For the first time since knowing him, he was speechless. He pulled over at the party location after two and a half hours. All I wanted to do right then was sneak away, have my emergency doughnut, get drunk on sugar and fall into a deep slumber. Thanks to Brian, I had to walk inside greeting everyone and being nice. The party was going to start in another hour so I asked Brian to drive me to my parents' house.
I was really nervous when he pulled over in front of the driveway. I told him to wait for me as I got off. I walked slowly towards the door, my bag clutched tightly onto my side. I hesitantly pressed my knuckles against the door and knocked softly, twice.
"Coming," I heard my dad's voice from the inside before he opened the door. He smiled looking at me, when his eyes landed on my belly, the smile slowly faded.
"Please, hear me out," I begged. He silently stepped aside letting me in. Nothing had changed. Not even my parents' uptight behaviour, it was still sickening.
My mother's reaction was worse, it was as if she had expecting me to just fall pregnant and hopefully not know who the father is.
"Six years Melanie. Six years. You've not been here for six years. No call. No text. And then you just turn up on our doorstep pregnant?" My dad broke the ice.
"I'm sorry,"
"Sorry? Sorry for what? Is it for leaving and not thinking about us? Is it for not being in touch? Or is it for jumping from one bed to the next?" My Mom asked casually. She really did think the worst of me. The last part stung. I was not a slut.
"For everything Mom. For all of that. I'm really sorry," I said instead of what was really in my heart.
"You are unbelievable! You are-,"
"Jenny stop," my father warned her, "She has apologised. Shouting at her now won't change anything."
"You're the reason why she's now this cheap. You always defended her. I told you to be more strict with her, but no you're so smart. Look at her now," she said to my father.
"No mom, you are. You've been so angry at me for not being the daughter you wanted me to be that you don't see anything good in me. If you were not this cold, I could have shared parts of myself with you but you were always like this,"
"I was trying to protect you!" She raised her voice. For some reason that made me angry.
"From what mom?"
"This cold world Melanie!" She yelled.
"Mother you didn't protect me. Because of you, I had a boyfriend that I had to keep in secret because you didn't want to hear a word of it. I couldn't even tell you about him, you never had time. And he raped me. Where were you?!"
"Raped?" She asked taken back.
"Yes mother," tears fell down my face recalling the horrible events of that night, "And I had no one, I suffered on my own. I couldn't tell you about it because you didn't even know i had a boyfriend in the first place. And for some reason, I knew you'd be more mad that I had a boyfriend than you would be that he raped me," I said in almost a whisper.
"Why didn't you tell me earlier?" Dad asked.
"I wanted to daddy, I wanted to. I couldn't. And if you're thinking I was whoring, you're wrong. I had so much to deal with and men were not on my to-do list. Yes I'm pregnant and I know the father,"
"Who's he?"
"Kim Taehyung. He's Korean," I explained to my Dad.
"Do you love him?"
"Yes i do,"
"Then I've no problem with that," he said casually.
"I think I should be on my way," I said standing up. My Mom attacked me with a hug crying onto my t-shirt, I just held her. It was her time to cry, I'd done my part already.
"I'm so sorry Mel,"
"Ma, I love you," I told her.
"I love you too my baby," dad came hugging the two of us together.
"I should go," I told them, "I'll call." I assured them.
"See you soon," I said waving as I made my way out.
Brian was leaning on his car, he gave me a quick hug.
"How did it go?"
"It went well,"
"Thank the heavens. Let's go back to that party, I'm sure it's started by now," he said before driving off.

I escaped from Brian back at the party, I found myself an unoccupied table in the backyard. I sat down taking out my doughnut, my mouth watered just seeing it. I reached for my milkshake, placed my legs on the table and ate my heart out.
This is what living an American dream must feel like. I though to myself as the sugar melted on my tongue.

"Can I have a bite?" I stopped eating. I knew that voice. Brian? Nope, too deep. Then who?

Oh my God! No!