28 - bold was the waitress on our three-year trip

SKYLAR

Taylor and Joe had finally bought a house in London together. It had ultimately been a very quick decision because someone else had been about to buy it. I hadn't even gotten to see it before we moved in, but I ended up liking it a lot anyway. My room was located on the second floor and Taylor helped me decorate it with merch that we found in her parents' house and some other stuff that we bought.

I was walking through the house to look for Benji when I heard Taylor downstairs, singing a song I didn't recognize. I stopped dead in my tracks and — strangely — the only thought that kept repeating in my head was, Oh my god, Taylor Swift is in my house.

Slowly, I made my way downstairs and ended up stopping at the bottom step to stare at Taylor who was sitting behind the piano. I couldn't think of anything other than that my favorite person, Taylor Swift, was playing the piano in front of me, and even though I tried to instruct myself to say something, to do anything, I couldn't.

Taylor looked up when she felt my stare and smiled at me, not noticing my shocked expression.

"Hey! Come listen to this. I know I said I was done with the album, but I think I might've actually written another song-" She cut herself off when she noticed how I was just standing there, staring at her, and she frowned a little. "Skye? Are you... okay?"

My eyes widened when she said my name and I shook my head vigorously. I mean, I knew I'd met Taylor before and I kept trying to remind myself of it, but something strange was happening and I could only think of her as Taylor Swift the popstar all of a sudden.

Taylor slowly got up from the piano and took a few, hesitant steps toward me. "Uhm, did I... do something? Why are you staring at me like that?"

"No-ooh," I let out in a shaky and choked up way, and she smiled at me with furrowed eyebrows.

She didn't say anything else but walked over to me and wrapped me in a hug, and I fully freaked out in her arms because I was hugging Taylor Swift. We stayed like that for a long time until I pulled away from her when I'd snapped back to reality. Taylor smiled down at me as she caressed my head, stroking the baby hairs back and away from my forehead in the process. "What just happened?" she asked, and I couldn't help but to start laughing.

"I have no idea. I just sort of... forgot that I knew you and I kept thinking like, what the frick, Taylor Swift is playing the piano in my house," I replied, making her laugh as well.

"You are so weird," she said, shaking her head with a grin.

When I was back to my normal self again, Taylor told me to come listen to something on the piano as she walked back to it and sat down. She started playing the same song she'd been playing earlier, but this time starting from the beginning of the song as she was singing along to it. I was immediately mesmerized by it and bobbed my head along as she sang.

"What do you think? I think I wanna call it Death By A Thousand Cuts. I got the inspiration from that movie we watched, Someone Great."

"Oh my god, it was amazing. Can you play it again?"

Her face lit up and it was seriously the prettiest thing ever. "Really? I'm so happy. It's not done yet, though, I still need to figure out what to do with the bridge, but I'm really glad you like it."

"Love it," I corrected, and she laughed at me and started playing the song again.

***

April 24 2019 would always have a special place in my heart. It was the day that I could officially say that I'd found my forever family, that I'd found my mom. And it was also the day that I changed my name to Skylar Joy Swift.