༒chapter seven༒

"All right," Mal says, tapping the instructions in her spell book

"All right," Mal says, tapping the instructions in her spell book. "It says that we still need one tear, and we never cry."

I sigh from my place sitting on the counter in the kitchen. Jay is on my right, and Dude (in a bowl) and Carlos are on my left. Carlos grabs an onion from a crate next to him. "Let's just chop up some onions."

"No," Mal says, looking over at Carlos. "It says that we need one tear of human sadness." I almost snort. Jay turns to me and laughs. "And this love potion gets the best reviews, so we have to follow it exactly."

"Best reviews, like Yelp?" I ask. Carlos chuckles and tosses the onion back into the crate.

Jay shakes his head. "A tear's a tear."

"That's not true, Jay," Evie says. "They both have antibodies and enzymes," she grabs a bag, "but, an emotional tear has more protein-based hormones than a reflex tear."

Mal smiles and puts some of the stuff from the bag into the cookie dough. "Listen to you."

"Yeah, I knew that," Jay says.

"Did not," Carlos says, hitting Jay lightly in the arm.

"Did to," Jay retorts.

I pat his shoulder. "Jay, buddy, it's okay." He glares half-heartily at me as the door opens and Lonnie walks in.

"There you are, Mal!" Lonnie says. "I was looking for you." I toss Mal a towel that she catches and puts over the open spell book. "You know, all the girls want you to do their hair!"

Mal laughs nervously while Evie puts her hand on her shoulder.

"Midnight snack, huh?" Lonnie asks, nodding to the bowl of cookie dough. "Whatcha guys making?"

"Nothing special," Mal says, glancing from Evie to me.

"Just cookies," I put in and shrug. "You know, we didn't bake much on the Isle."

Lonnie reaches her finger down and dips in the dough. "Oh. No, no! Wait, wait, wait!" we all shout at the same time. Carlos puts an arm around Dude, Jay hops off the counter and puts his hand out to stop Lonnie. Evie and I both just put our hands out, and Mal gives a 'dammit' look as Lonnie eats the dough from her finger.

She smiles and chuckles. "I'm not gonna double dip," she laughs.

"Feel anything?" Evie asks.

"Yeah like maybe it might be missing something?" Mal asks.

"Or like It has too much of something?" I ask.

Jay takes a step forward and leans on one of the metal poles. "Hey there," he flirts.

Lonnie makes a face before going over to the fridge. "Could use some chips," she says.

"Chips?" I ask, hopping off the counter.