༒chapter ten ༒

Mal points to a drawing of the magic wand on the boys' table in their dorm

Mal points to a drawing of the magic wand on the boys' table in their dorm. "Okay," she says, "we all know what this looks like. So, it will be up on the dais under the Beast's spell jar, and we'll be coming in from here." She points to another piece of paper. "I will be in the very front. You all will be up in the balcony."

"Okay," Evie says.

"Carlos?" Mal asks.

"Okay, so, I'll find our limo so we can break the barrier and get back on the island with the wand."

"Perfect," Mal says. "Evie?"

"Yeah?"

I hand Evie a spray bottle. "Use it to take out the driver. Two sprays should do it," I explain. "He'll be knocked out quick." Evie nods and takes the spray.

We all nod. I go with Jay and Carlos to the area near Carlos' bed. I flop down on the bed and sigh. "We're dead," I mumble.

"M?" Evie asks. "You wanna break Ben's love spell?" I snap up and look at Mal like she's crazy.

"Yeah," Mal says. "You know, for after."

"I don't," Evie says, sitting down.

"I've just been thinking, you know, when the villains finally do invade Auradon, and begin to loot and kick everyone out of their castles and imprison their leaders and destroy all that is good and beautiful, Ben still being in love with me just seems a little extra cruel."

As I lay in my bed, staring at the ceiling, I don't really want to think that this is my last night in Auradon. Of course, I want to go back to the island. But being here is nice. I don't think I want to stay in Auradon forever, but it's not so bad here. I miss the Isle, but life seems a little bit better here. I mean, it's not always dark and cold. There's always fresh air, fresh fruit, and green grass. I just want to be back home.

"Welcome to Family Day," I mutter as the five of us, and Dude, stand and look out over the students of Auradon and their families.

We walk through the crowds of people to the food. Mal grabs a pink food and hands one to me before grabbing another of her own. "Eat it," she says, taking a bite from her own. "It's a strawberry, and they're delicious."

I take a bite out of the strawberry. "Woah," I say, swallowing it. "That's amazing actually."

"I know right," Mal giggles.

Evie takes Dude from Carlos so he can try the chocolate fountain. Jay joins him and they start getting chocolate all over themselves.

"Harper!" Jay yells with a mouth full of chocolate covered strawberries. "Get over here and try this!"

I smile and walk over to the two of them. Carlos grabs a strawberry on a stick and hands it to me while they both try to eat the falling chocolate. I put my strawberry under the chocolate before taking a bite out of it. "Holy shit."