Chapter 26

Stefani's POV

"She's broken," I shut the door and sat next to Rachel as she's applying for me.

"You have to fly down to Massachusetts to take an entry exam, are you okay with that?" Rachel keeps me focused.

"Schedule it Friday. Thursday, I have a business transaction to make and I need to prepare for that," I took a sip.

"You don't think you should prepare for your entry exam?" Rachel suggested.

"Since when was school ever hard for me?" I looked at her with a frown and she stood corrected.

"I'll fly out Thursday night and will return Friday night. I'll be jet lagged, but it'll be an easy trip. I won't be gone for long..." I'm still concerned about Lillian.

She's weirder than usual, I wonder if it's because of what I said this morning to her in the hallway.

"Maybe you should come back Saturday or Monday. Some time away from home might be good for you," Rachel gives me an idea.

"Ah yes, thats a great idea. A little vacation sounds fun. Leave Lillian alone and when I come back, it might help me clear my thoughts on things. Rachel, that was a genius call," I was genuinely amazed that I didn't think of it.

"Okay, now that's been taken of- she's broken?!" Rachel shook me up and down. I Damn near splashed my drink on her with her recklessness.

"She's completely weirded out that I'm slowly opening up to her. All I did was offer her assistance on what to cook me for breakfast and told her how I like my cookies," I sighed.

"And how do you like your cookies?" Rachel smirked.

"Brunette with blue eyes- oh for fuck sake Rachel, you know how the only cookie I'll ever eat is oatmeal and raisin. Jesus" I groaned miserably.

"Shit" I heard someone curse in the house and it damn sure wasn't Rachel.

I instinctively got up and left the room without taking a single glance at Rachel.

"How the hell did I manage to burn cookies of all things," Lillian was talking to herself.

I knew she was crazy.

My dad's crazy too.

A perfect pair.

"Is everything alright?" I entered the kitchen to look at unevenly baked oatmeal raisin cookies. Bummer, they smell really good. I mean- the oatmeal is fully cooked so maybe if I smoke later tonight and heat these up again, Justice will be served.

"Aw Stefani, I'm sorry I messed up the cookies... besides, it's not everyday you check in on me," she giggled with a tired sigh.

"Mm, true. well it's not everyday I see you burn food- let alone get yourself hurt... do you want me to fix an ice pack?" I tried showing genuine concern.

"Is this you practicing showing genuine concern again?" She raised a brow at me.

Ma'am, I'm just trying to help.

"Yes, do you want me to lie? Of course I'm practicing," I scoffed and rolled my eyes. My dad's been lying. I bet he's still banging his assistant that I called him out on a while ago..

I should go back to doing that.

Lillian continued to giggle at me and it did lighten the atmosphere that she's not severely injured. Maybe she burned her hand through the oven mitt when she picked up the pan.

Very well, let me see why she burned them.

"You're suppose to bake these 20 minutes quicker than other oatmeal cookies because the oats are already cooked. Next time you attempt this, they should be done in 15-20 minutes baking time rather than... it looks like you did 40-45mins with this batch," I poked one and realized it was extremely liquidy in the center but crisp at the edges.

"Also: low heat," i noted and Lillian's eyes locked in mine.

"You can tell just by looking..." she merely whispered embarrassed.

"I can also tell that the heat between us is rising... It's almost noon, you should go pick something nice for my dad. Remember, he likes red. You seem to like black and or white to bring out the blue in your eyes. I think red is a bold color to bring out your eyes as well. You can leave early for a little shopping if you'd like," I reached for a few muffins that was on the cooling tray.

Thankfully she didn't ruin these.

"What about you?" Lillian called out.

"What of it?" I turned slightly serving her my side profile around the corner of the hall.

"N-nothing," she mumbled.

"I open up just a smidge and here you are backing out," I sipped on my latte and looked down on her- quite literally and slightly figuratively.

"That's not-

"Then what?" I looked into her blue eyes and she was speechless. Almost as if she didn't
know what she wanted to say even if I did give her a chance, but here's her chance.

"What about you and Rachel? I practically ruined brunch," she rubs the back of her neck and looks to the side of the burnt cookies.

Lillian, seriously? we're nineteen. Well- Rachel's twenty one, but the point is: we can manage. But- I do see an opportunity to get under your skin...

Hmmmm

"So that's what you meant," I threw my head back finishing my last few sips of my latte.

"Wait huh?" Her eyes lit up.

"Oh nothing. I was briefly discussing about what you should wear to your dinner date and I advised red because that's what my dad likes... I thought you were referring to what I like," I made sure she knew I was searching for her eyes.

Her bottom lip was quivering trying to find the words but I gave a small scoff with a smirk knowing I had struck a nerve. She's going to be thinking about today for a while.

I, on the other hand have a pitch to plan all day tomorrow to ensure I get rid of my business and an exam to touch up on. I really don't have the capacity to think about today's events with the woman, but I can indulge for now.

"I'm serious Lillian, you should enjoy yourself tonight. It's not every night my dad comes home early- let alone on time, and has the energy to take his fiancé out to dinner. Don't get caught up in the wrong things," I teased before leaving her in the kitchen by herself.

The moment I turned the corner into my hallway, I was smiling.

She's been pressing my buttons since she's arrived, it's only fair I do the same for her. But for some reason, teasing her is a lot more fun knowing she's clearly conflicted just as I am.

I just have a different way of expressing them.