Chapter 18 - Settling of Scores

Lily sucked in her breath as James stopped in front of her. Thunder was pounding in her ears due to her uncertainty of the whole situation. She didn't know what to do or what he was expecting and she was sure the racing sound of her heart beating could be heard by him and everyone around them.

James looked at her closely as he stood in front of her. Her eyes were wide as a half-smile graced over his lips, and his warm gaze settled into those deep emerald pools of light. Enchanting her, yet engulfing her at the same time.

'So...can I take you up on that dance yet?'

His voice was soft but steady, and Lily found herself answering with a delicate smile and a nod. Lily waited for him to move and, although she knew it was coming, she shied away slightly as he gently took her hands, drawing them into his. James could sense her hesitation, but successfully managed to encourage her to place her hands on his shoulders.

Lily looked downwards as he caught her gaze, causing him to smile slightly. Why was she being shy? She didn't seem to be in the Common Room earlier...

Hmm, maybe she's ashamed of her forwardness...

'Lil?' he said, tilting her face up to face his, 'it's okay.'

She closed her eyes for a second, taking a breath and looking back at him. A shiver ran through her cheek as she felt his fingers drift to caress it softly.

'Isn't this wrong?' her mind mumbled in the back of her head, 'Aren't you meant to be with someone else...?'

I don't know...this feels so...

Lily's thoughts were dashed quickly as she felt his hand pressing against her back, forcing her closer to him. The sensation of being against him was unreal, and Lily didn't realise her eyes were closed until James gently asked her to open them. Faintly feeling the soft moisture of his breath against her forehead, she looked up at him, their eyes meeting again.

James was experiencing similar things as her body melted against his. This was what he wanted more than anything in the world...to have her here...with him...against him...

Well...there is something else you'd like to do...but don't rush it Potter...

Her lips were inches from his, all he would have to do would be to lean down slightly and everything would be perfect. But he knew that this was meant to be an innocent dance...something between friends...something insignificant.

But looking down at her, her head nearly nestled into the juncture of his neck, he knew that this was something more...something unspeakable. He craved what it was and he craved her.

The music swayed their senses, drowning their thoughts and Lily felt as though she would drift away if he wasn't there, holding her tightly. This was exactly what she wanted...dancing with him felt like she'd just opened up for the first time...it was like waking up and taking her first breath...it filled her completely and made her giddy with intoxication.

Drawing in a quick breath of surprise, James watched as she moved so that her head rested on his shoulder, her face turned so that her nose just grazed over the skin of his neck. It was oddly intimate...and James welcomed it greedily, squeezing her shoulders to him and resting his chin against her forehead and pressing a 'friendly' kiss into the mass of red waves.

The action was innocent...wasn't it?

***************************

Amiya watched as the Head Boy and Girl danced together, ignorant of her...and what was planned. Their fate...it might have been thought. But Amiya didn't believe in fate...she believed that you made your own decisions, choices and paths in life. And where most people were perfectly capable of finding their own way and making their own mind...she decided, that sometimes some people needed a little nudge towards the right direction...or maybe a big nudge, depending on the circumstances.