134

"Then you can be my daughter." The emperor held the empress's waist and announced, "The imperial family will happily take Angelina in!"

Complete shock drowned the ballroom into silence. All that the nobles were able to do was stand still with their mouths agape and eyes widened while replaying the emperor's words. Even the members of the Skyler family couldn't find anything to say for a moment.

"What the fu-" before Rienne could continue, Alice quickly covered her mouth.

"Your majesty? Are you...are you serious?" Angelina gasped and asked in disbelief.

The emperor's expression softened at the sight of such a vulnerable side of Angelina. He always thought there was something behind the perfect, elegant, and put together mask Angelina put on. At times, he would catch Angelina stare at his three children playing or get into spats together with envy lingering in her smile.

It wasn't until today did he truly see how the 'gentle Duke Skyler' really treated her.

Angelina didn't reveal it in her features but after paying attention to the emperor's expression, she knew her plan had worked. Some might call it cruel for her to play with people's minds and sympathy, but this is how she was taught. The world of nobility is all about manipulating a situation to work in your favor or make it an opportunity. She didn't think it was unfair or unrighteous for her to do this.

"Of course. If lady Angelina accepts, the imperial family will gladly adopt and take you in." The emperor laughed, his gaze full of tenderness.

"What!? Y-your majesty! This...this can't possibly be allowed!" The duke opposed.

"Hm? Are you saying you disagree with my words, Duke Skyler? Haha, I'm not stealing your daughter. You said it yourself how lady Angelina is no longer your daughter. It's your words against yours." The emperor raised his brows at the duke.

"No your majesty! It's just..." The duke was lost for words.

"Lady Angelina is a very sweet child and my wife favors her quite a lot. She is also a brilliant talent and very enlightened. It would be a shame if I just let you throw her aside like that. Not only that, I must repay my debt for the time where Lady Angelina saved my daughter's life. It is only fitting that I take her in." The emperor explained. He strangely felt satisfaction when seeing the dumb expression of the duke. Duke Skyler has been getting increasingly bothersome the past few years...

"But..." The duke hesitated. He knew in his mind that he should back down, but he couldn't. He can't bear to let Angelina have her way. But what could he do?

The empress locked eyes with the emperor and she smirked at him. She turned to Duke Skyler and said, "Duke, please listen to my words and take your daughter back. But Angelina can stay. Our decision has been determined. Since you have publicly disowned Angelina, there's no problem with us accepting her into the family. Don't worry, we'll treat her very well if that was your concern."

The duke realized he couldn't change the emperor and empress's minds so he turned to Angelina. He held her shoulders as he said, "Well... Angelina wouldn't dare accept this, right Angelina? How about we forget everything that has happened and start over? I will treat you better in the future as long as you don't accept it."

His hand pinched her shoulders. But Angelina wasn't moved in the slightest. She didn't hesitate to answer the emperor's offer. "I accept your majesty! Thank you for your grace!"

"Wonderful! Come here, Angelina! Oh my, we'll have to plan for your crowning after this and... Oh so much to do!" The empress took Angelina into her arms excitedly and laughed.