Never Have I Ever...

I nodded along to what Mrs. Brown-Goodwin was saying, listening intently and jotting down some notes whenever she said something key. She wanted tonight to be perfect and it was understandable - a tenth marriage anniversary was something that not everyone could achieve, especially someone with her job.

"...so, the flowers cannot be red, but they can't be yellow either, meaning, you should get something like blue, purple or green," she rambled on and on.

"Jessica, I don't think there are any green flowers," I said, thinking back to all my encounters with flowers.

"Oh yeah, you're right. Okay, so we can try blue," she said with a sheepish smile, a worried sigh escaping her lips.

Shaking my head in amusement, I stood up then walked over to her, making her stand up and forcefully pushing her out of the office.

"Go home, Jess! Enjoy your anniversary! I've got everything under control," I ordered her, though she was my boss.

"But-"

"No, buts, just go!" I said, reprimanding her like a child. I sternly pointed at the elevator and with a sigh she nodded and left. Finally! That woman never stopped worrying when it came to things like this.

With her gone, I started to order white flowers since I knew Mr. Goodwin-Brown didn't like overly colourful things, then I double checked their reservation for the expensive Italian restaurant that he loved but barely had since, and I quote, it was way too expensive when all they serve you is a tiny appetizer, a barely filling entrée and a way too sweet dessert. Those were Mrs. Goodwin's words. That woman loved food.

I've always envied Jessica, I loved how she didn't care what others thought of her or her slightly overweight body, I adored how generous she was and most of all, I envy her relationship with her husband. They love each other so much and he never complains that her company keeps her away from him for most hours of the day, neither does he whine and pout when reporters ask him what it's like to have her as a wife, when really the question should be directed to Jess about having such a spectacular man for a husband. I also love the love that they share- it's sweet and oh so romantic.

I wish I had someone to love me the way Paul, Mr. Goodwin-Brown, loved Jessica, Mrs. Brown-Goodwin. I'm almost thirty and my last boyfriend was more than a decade ago, how pathetic is that? The worst part is, my ex didn't even break my heart, making me swear off men, no, in fact he loved me and treated me like a queen, but I didn't feel the same way so I broke things off. I decided to work on my grades, attend university and find an amazing job.

Sighing, I put off the topic of love and finished off my remaining work. Tomorrow would probably be my last day working this summer because the sweet couple had a tendency to go for a month-long cruise during the summer to keep the romance alive.

Before I could start gushing over my boss' relationship with her husband when they weren't even here, I felt my phone buzz in my jeans pocket. Since I was almost done with my work, I unlocked my phone with my fingerprint, then saw the text from my best friend, Penny.

Penny:
Hey, girl! You busy?

Me:
Not really, why?

Penny:
Well, our boss let us off work early so that we
could find our stories. He thinks that as of lately,
we've been lacking exciting stories and thinks a few
weeks off work will help us find our stories.
Anyway, want to grab lunch?

I read over Penny's message and I almost burst out laughing. I knew Mr. Kyle was unique, but not enough to let everyone off of work because their stories were boring. It's better to have boring stories get posted than none at all.