CHAPTER 2 ↠ meeting alfie solomons

Bea and Bonnie walked together to The Garrison

Bea and Bonnie walked together to The Garrison. Bea holding onto her brother's arm.

"Tell me now. Was the man Aunt Margaret chose for you that bad?"

"No... I think he was kind... And he was very smart from what he told me. And very handsome and rich..."

"Then why did you turn him down?"

"I'm too young to marry. I haven't even been outside of England!"

"You could travel outside of England with your husband. Especially if he's rich. You shouldn't have turned down someone rich, handsome and kind."

"I can find another man, better than him even."

"Not here in Birmingham you won't."

"I'm too young to marry anyway. When I'm of age I won't be in Birmingham either way."

"If you're too young to marry, dear sister, then perhaps you're too young to go to pubs."

"No one is too young for a bit of fun, Bonnie."

When they arrive at The Garrison, Bea can see how different it looks when it's full of people.

"Come," Bea says to Bonnie as she holds his hand and leads him to the bar.

"What do you want to drink?" She asks her brother.

"Beer."

"One beer and... perhaps a gin."

"Tonic," Bonnie adds quickly. "You're a lady, sister. You don't drink straight gin."

"Trust me, when Tommy Shelby's gin is for sale, that is all I'll be drinking," Bea jokes and they go to the only empty table. "Do you have friends here?"

"No. I'm not here to make friends."

"You should. It's good to have friends everywhere, you see? So when you're in trouble somewhere, you can find refuge with a friend."

"You're smarter than I remember, Bea."

"Yes, well... five years of an education worthy of royals and that's what you get."

They get their drinks and enjoy them as the speak. Suddenly, the empty chair around the small table is occupied. A man with a moustache smiles at Bea.