Chapter 23: The Dark lord

"You're smaller than I thought."

The only response I got was the widening of his grin and a few careful steps further in my direction. My eyes darted between his prowling figure and my surroundings as I raised my sword. "I reckon master Kenobi was never hurt in the first place?" Even with him before me, I couldn't help but worry.

"Your heart betrays you, my dear." Lord Sidious halted in his tracks, his yellow eyes focusing on my figure. As I watched, his lightsaber fell from his sleeve and into the grasp of his fingers, his thumb finding the button, igniting the terrible red lightsaber that now casted the cite in its threatening colour.

"You should never have threatened him." I hissed and enraged the flames surrounding my wings to try and battle the ice that crept over my skin. There was fear in my heart that was trying to crawl through me, but I wouldn't let it. "You will find I'm harder to beat when I'm angry."

His grin grew even larger, as if to say I'm counting on it. Without any further warning he jumped towards me, spinning in the air while letting out an unnatural yell. Within seconds I drew my hands forward, sending a wave of fire his way that should've burned him to a crisp. I stepped aside, avoiding the lightsaber that now entered my vision and watched, watched his back as the smoke rolled off his cloak and he remained unscathed underneath.

I had little time to react when he turned towards me swiftly and attacked with his saber. When that missed as I jumped back, he send me flying into the air with a force push that knocked the air right out of my lungs. Before I even had the time to use my wings to lighten the impact I crashed against one of the cruisers, leaving a dent in the metal and me in a crumble on the floor.

"For the love of Freya." I cursed under my breath after landing on my knees, looking up through the strands of red hair now hanging before my eyes and watching him walk towards me. The chuckles that fell from his lips only helped to further fuel the rage that boiled within me and had me sprinting towards him with a furious war cry. My fingers reached for the sword hanging on my belt and soon that blade unfolded to its full might.

Before I could reach him he simply waved his hand, making me fall sidewards and to the ground in a hopeless heap of red cloth and flames. If it wasn't for the puddle right next to my face that showed me his figure drawing near, I wouldn't have been in time to flip to my back and raise my sword to parry the blow that would've impaled me otherwise.

"Not so powerful now, are you?" Another mad grin was barely visible from under his hood. My eyes widened with the strain it took to hold his saber there, darting to his yellow ones as the realization hit me. I wasn't strong enough to beat him, not yet.

With the last remainder of strength I had in me I pushed him back and jumped onto my own feet. Yet, the moment I did so he only reached out with his hand and clenched it into a fist. Suddenly, the air was forced right out of my lungs as a hold so tight wound around my throat, as if his fingers were actually clenching the skin.

"No." I croaked, trying to pull away the force as I fell to my knees and stars covered my vision. The hold he had on me only tightened, closing off the remainder of my airway. No matter how my fingers clawed at the invincible grip, it didn't loosen.

When fear threatened to overtake me, a familiar figure appeared at my side, kneeling on the cement. "Fight it, Fireheart!" Arthas hissed through his teeth. "Don't tell me an old man will be the end of the legendary phoenix!"

"No!" With a strength I did not know I had in me I pushed him away and made him tumble backwards to regain his balance. Shadows slithered over the ground. When he had somewhat recovered, his eyes lifted back to meet mine only to see my entire body engulfed in flames and my eyes flaming red.