── EPILOGUE

EPILOGUE

THE CITY OF new york was chaotic in the morning, nothing new there. the holidays were just done, everyone was getting back into their dull nine to five routine. and unfortunately, he wasn't the exception.

percy sat on the edge of his bed, his skateboard placed between his legs as he tightened the wheels with the metal tool. he tapped his foot on the floor at the rhythm of the music coming from his laptop.

"percy!" his mother yelled from the kitchen. "breakfast!"

he checked over the skateboard once more. "coming!" percy yelled back, grabbing his abandoned backpack from the floor while taking the board under his arm, he made his way to the kitchen.

the kitchen smelled gloriously of pancakes, bacon, and all the good stuff that made percy's stomach grumble. sally bustled around, filling two plates full with food. she had a small smile on her face, looking happier than usual so early in the morning.

"come on, sit, sit," she ushered, ruffling his hair as she pushed him into the chair. his mother took the seat next to him, diving into her food.

percy groaned, running his hands through his hair in a weak attempt to tame it. no matter what he did, it always seemed to stick out in all the wrong places and angles. in its forever messy state, the just-rolled-out-of-bed look was stuck with him. he was beginning to consider it one of his personality traits.

he took a big bite of his blue pancake. "what are you so chirpy about?"

sally hummed as she cut a piece of her own food, she shrugged. "oh, nothing. just... really looking forward to this new year."

"well, i'm not," percy said. "it's just another plain second semester of school."

part of his statement was true. he truly wasn't looking forward to school. even if there wasn't something he disliked, there wasn't anything he liked either. it was completely and boringly neutral. he had friends... or the closest thing to that, at least. percy had his teammates from the swimming team, who he would spend the early mornings and late afternoons with. he was invited to all their get togethers and parties, and he attended some of them. but percy knew better than to get too close, it was best to keep mortals at arm's length. not because they were lesser or anything, but at the end of the day getting them too involved in demigod's life could fuck them over.

but what was most true was, percy was scared shitless to turn 17. he wouldn't say it though, not aloud anyways.

"maybe you'll have something new to look forward to," his mother said, there was a tingle in her eyes. like she knew something he didn't.

"what do you mean?" he asked with his full mouth.

sally scowled at his manners, a silent warning. percy swallowed his food before his death was marked.

"what do you mean?" he asked again, his question actually understandable.

she held her head on her elbow, smiling. "call it a good feeling."

percy didn't question her again. eating his food with comfortable silence and mindless chatter. his plate was overly loaded today, one more pancake than usual. he had swimming practice before classes, and given the holiday break he would need the extra boost of energy in the pool. being a son of poseidon gave him an advantage, but he didn't like to use it. preferring to actually exercise the sport instead of cheating his way through.

"wait!" his mother stopped him as percy made his way out the door. "better take this."

sally unzipped his backpack, stuffing a bag with four cookies. percy frowned, he already packed the cookies he was taking to school. while he wasn't opposed to extra cookies, his mom never gave him more than two.