The Spirits Never Sleep

???

On the eve of my sixteenth birthday, the spirits warn me of a curse.

Their voices ring in my head, yelling and squealing, 'The Descent, The Descent!' It's odd, I've never heard of such a curse before. Curses have never crossed my mind prior to this night. That is destined to change, I suppose. They remain screaming and crying as I try to drift away into my dreams. My comfortable bed does nothing to help soothe me. Neither does the darkness enshrouding my large room. My disabled ears don't help drown out the wailing either. The outside world's sound has never reached me, but spirits have definitely made up for that. Especially now.

It's only when the voice yelling the loudest, whom I've named Reginald, speaks of my future do I actually pay attention.

"Beware, young one. The Descent is a powerful spell. The feeling of sinking never goes away. Its power reaches not only you but many other unfortunate beings. They suffer differently, but fall all the same. If you do not end this curse, you will have to accept the same fate that I have. That we have."

That interests me. The spirits speak of this curse as if they have fallen victim to it themselves. It's that moment I decide sleep is not an option tonight. The plush covers fall around my ankles as I pull them off to keep me warm. The path to our manor's library is engraved in my mind. When your sister loves books as much as mine does, you need to know the way to get there better than you know yourself.

I ignite the candle I grab with the aid of a match and the light of the moon. The library is a minute's walk away, so I set off.

The last thought that runs through my mind before it's consumed by the screams of spirits once again is, God bless those who suffer that sinking feeling.