༒chapter fourteen༒

I relax when I smell Harry. He leans to my ear to whisper, "Not a peep, understood?" I nod. "Good girl."

He grabs a piece of cloth and shoves it in my mouth before shoving me onto the ground in an alley. "Stay."

"I'm not a dog," I try to say, but it comes out muffled.

"Don't know what you just said, but good girl."

I roll my eyes and he starts to walk away when I hear Carlos say, "Guys? Where's Ben and Harper?"

"Ben?" Evie asks.

"Harper?" Jay asks.

"Ben!" Evie says after a second. "Ben, don't scare us like that!"

Sorry to tell you, Evie, but that is definitely not Ben.

"Don't scare you?" Harry asks.

God, he's such a dumbass.

"That's my specialty."

"Harry," Evie breaths. I almost can't hear her.

"What did you do with Ben and Harper?" Jay asks loudly. Welp. He's angry.

"Oh, uh, we nicked Benny. Mmmhmm. I nicked Harper, she's off somewhere. Yeah, um and if you want to see him again have Mal come to the Chip Shoppe tonight. Alone. Uma wants a little visit." There's a pause before Harry pouts. I'm guessing. He's very predictable. "Aw, Jay. Seems like you lost your touch."

Someone grunts. Probably Jay.

"Jay," Evie says.

Harry starts laughing. Then he makes a bark sound. Again. A dumbass.

"Oh!" he says, "and don't worry about Harper. My girl's in good hands."

"She's not yours," Jay snaps.

"Isn't she?" Harry asks. He giggles before whistling a tune.

A few seconds later, he turns down the alley he left me in. "Ah," he smiles, "you're still here." I nod. "Don't seem so sad, Harp. You know you love me." I nod again. He clicks his tongue and picks me up.

A few minutes later, we enter Fish and Chips with him still carrying me. He takes his sword off and sticks it in the sword check before continuing to carry me to the stools. People stare at us as we enter the building and when he sets me down on one of the stools before sitting next to me.

I turn my head to look at him boredly.

He has his elbow on the counter, his cheek in his palm while he looks at me. "I've never seen you so quiet." I roll my eyes and sigh as best I can with the cloth in my mouth. "I guess I should probably let you talk, hm?" I nod. "All right then," he says, taking the cloth out of my mouth.

"I will beat you up, you dumbass."

"Should I put the gag back in?"

I roll my eyes and shake my head.

"Words, Harper, darling."

"No, you shouldn't."

He hums and doesn't take his eyes off me. Then after a moment, he tilts his head slightly and yells, "Uma!"

I can hear her huff and slam something down before she come out of the back room. "What the hell do you want, Harry?"

"Your sister's here," he says, picking at his nails. "Thought you'd want to know."

Uma stops in her tracks when she sees me.

I smile cautiously and wave a little. "Uh, hi?"

"'Hi'?" she asks. "After six months of not talking to any of us, all you have to say is 'hi'?"