Chapter 27

Lillian's POV

What the hell was that?!

Did she just admit-

I don't even know how to describe that conversation.. I need to get out the house and just pick something nice for St- I mean Kent.

Fuck.

I need out.

I quickly folded my apron and adjusted my high waisted ripped denim jeans and white tank top. I'll just wear sandals. I just want out.

I never thought the sound of my Range Rover unlocking could be so alleviating.

I went to a nearby plaza and picked a designer store to go dress shopping.

She said red to bring out my eyes.

Wait- Stefani likes my eyes???

Focus goddamnit.

My phone starts to ring and it startled me. I quickly scrambled trying to get to it but I might as well just throw the purse across the store.

It might be Stefani needing something-

I missed the call...

I still need to see who called and call back.

What if it's important?

My phone chimes loudly in the store making me flinch and I quickly mute it as I check on my notifications from...

... Kent...

Future hubby: I'm wrapping up at the office, I'll be home later!

Me: okayyy

I took a deep breath to gather my thoughts and went to a salesperson to receive assistance on picking a proper dress for tonight's event.

"I think red silk would be beautiful at a dim lit dinner table. Soft glow on the dress and your skin complexion. Who suggested the color?" The woman made conversation with me.

"My fiancé's daughter," I had a hard time admitting it for some reason.

"Congratulations! She must adore you!" The woman applauded excitedly.

"Something like that..." I mumbled sheepishly knowing Stefani is not very affectionate let alone enthusiastic.

"Try this on," she hands me a dress suit with a matching skirt.

I wasn't sure how to feel until I walked out the fitting rooms to step on the mini stage to see myself fully in the mirrors.

"Oh I don't know," I looked at myself.

"Something more elegant perhaps?" The woman clicks her tongue and goes into the departments gathering dozens of merchandise that's in red silk.

"We will try all," she informs me.

"Are you sure?" I didn't want to be a hassle.

"Tonight has to be special and only a special dress worn by a special woman can ensure that," she clicks her tongue and gets her measuring tape to get an idea of what my size is.

"Try this and I will return with more clothing," she hands me a gown that was extremely soft- too soft. I'm worried I might rip it with my nails...

"Okay," I spoke timidly.

"And by the way; for a man, that craftsman ship of your engagement ring is beautifully detailed. He must've placed a lot of thought into you," she lowered her glasses to look me in the eye before walking off.