Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Chapter 11: Addicted

I listened to the monotonous ticking of the clock, but I heard footsteps outside the door. I quickly fanned my face, trying to dry away the tears from my swollen eyes. My hands dropped to my sides when the door opened. Ivan stepped in, looking just as perfect as he did when he left.

"Has it already been ten minutes?" I asked, trying to sound upbeat.

"It's been an hour."

My eyes widened in surprise. "You said your shift ended in ten minutes. What took so long?"

He shrugged his jacket off. "The customers dined longer than we'd expected."

"Oh."

Why did I feel like he was lying?

"Does it hurt?"

"No," I lied. Ivan leaned his waist against the table and crossed his arms over his broad chest. He studied me from head to toe.

"You look like you're about to cry," he deadpanned.

"You try simultaneously getting beaten up by five guys." It was six, but Rick wasn't deemed worthy of my consideration.

"Now, why would I do something as stupid as that?" he mused, his voice taking a tone of amusement and mockery. I cast him a dark glare, but he remained indifferent.

"Can you walk?"

"Of course I can," I huffed.

"I don't think you can." I held back an eye roll, but only because it hurt to move my pupils.

"Is that your thing? Asking questions and making up with your own answers?" I shot.

"Is acting tough and masking your feelings with terrible lies yours?"

Touché.

"If you're done playing the tough guy, get up. We're leaving," he said, picking up my bag, which he must have retrieved in the alley.

"To where?"

"To my place. I can't leave you here. The other servers are going to close the restaurant soon. I live a few blocks away. You won't have to walk for long."

For a second, I almost thought he was being nice, but then remembered that he was Ivan, and quickly chased that absurd thought away.

"Look, I'm grateful for everything you've done for me, but it's getting late. I can take a taxi home."

"Do you have cash?" he asked flatly.

I squeezed my hands together. "Um, no, but I can walk home. My mom is going to worry if I don't return soon."

Truth was, I wasn't planning to go home, not after the argument I had with her. I didn't know where I'd go. Maybe I could find a comfortable bench to sleep on in a park.

"And you think showing up with fresh cuts and bruises is going to reassure her?"

I pointed to the bandage plastered under my eye, the one I had found in my pocket earlier.

"I've got it covered." Pun intended.

"Don't tell me you're planning on sleeping on the streets."

My eyes widened. "How did you know?"

"I didn't," he said with a serene smile. My mouth dropped wide open.

"You manipulative piece of-"

"Let's go home," he cut me off and squatted in front of me, glancing over his shoulder. "Hop on."

I raised my hand to stop him.

"It's going to be a no from me," I said, doing my best imitation of Simon Cowell.

He rolled his beautiful eyes. "Either you get on my back, or I'll carry you bridal-style. Your choice."

My eyes darted towards the door, but who was I kidding? I'd fall flat on my face the second I tried getting up. I weighed my options. Option number one, I could go home and face my mom. Nope. Option numero dos, I could spend the night outside and freeze to death. Meh, that didn't sound like a bad idea. And third but not least, I could spend the night at Ivan's place. As if I wanted to spend another second with this jerk.

Did I?

I mentally shook my head, surprised at the sudden thought.

"Well?" he asked impatiently.

I hesitated at first, but slowly climbed onto his back, wrapping my arms around his neck and my legs around his waist. He stood up with a small grunt, securing his strong arms under my knees. He smelled of sweat and pine, a boyish smell that I liked.

Oh hoe, you did not just admit that you enjoyed sniffing this dude.

I groaned, pressing my forehead against Ivan's shoulder, and getting an even better whiff of his glorious scent. Who allowed this dangerous boy to exist? Who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to go to the depth of Hell and bring back this seductive demon?

"Does it hurt that much?" Worry laced his tone.

"Just don't drop me. I'll sue you if you do."

My broke ass wasn't going to sue anyone in this lifetime, but he laughed anyway, and this time, I knew I wasn't hallucinating.

"Of course, your highness."