Chapter Twenty Three

After Severus had filled Clarice in on everything that had happened, the pair sat on her couch during their last night at Hogwarts. 

"So no more Lockhart?" Clarice asked. 

"Lockhart doesn't even know who Lockhart is." Severus told her. 

"I wonder who's going to take over his class." She thought aloud. 

"No clue," He said. 

"I'm still having trouble comprehending everything," She told him. 

"I know. It's a lot. I'm sorry you missed out." He told her.

"So Dumbledore knew Harry was down there and instead of going down there himself, he sent him Fawks... and that musty old sorting hat?" She said confused. 

"Well it sounds rather pitiful when you put it that way. I don't know if Dumbledore actually knew what was going on. To be fair, the hat did bring him the sword of Gryffindor." He told her. 

"Will Harry have to go back to his aunt and uncles?" She asked him. 

"Yes," He said. 

"Why can't someone just take him in? Apparently everyone knows he's being abused." She said very concerned. 

"Unfortunately, there's not much we can do. He's not being beaten, he's just... being treated like a house elf." Severus said and Clarice scowled at him. 

"It's just not fair." She said and they sat in silence for a few minutes. 

"So, what are your plans this summer?" He asked her. 

"Well, I was going to stay at my parents place in Margate. It's a small summer cottage and I believe they're traveling to Belize." She told him. 

"How nice," He said. 

"It will be quite lonely, ya know? You'll have to visit." She said. 

"I will if I find the time." He said. 

"Why do I feel like all you do is read in the summer?" She asked him. 

"Because I do. Although, I do make potions too." He said. 

"Think of all the ingredients you'll receive when you visit me," She said and smiled. 

"Is this bribery for my company?" He asked her. 

"Do I really need to bribe you in order to get a single visit from you this summer?" She asked. 

"No," He quickly said. 

"Good," She said and stood up. "Do you want some more tea?"

"I should go pack." He said and also stood up and walked over to her. 

"Thank you, for everything." She told him. 

"Stop thanking me, I only did what was right." He said. 

"I'll thank you as much as I can." She pecked his cheek and watched him shut the door. 

The following day, Clarice had bid her goodbyes to her colleagues and her students. Just as she was about to leave, she spotted Harry. 

"Mr. Potter!" She called out and Harry whipped his head around to his professor. 

"Professor Bates!" He said as she pulled him aside. 

"Listen Harry, this isn't entirely appropriate for me to say, but I do want you to know that if things get bad at your aunt and uncles, I'd be more than happy to have you with me this summer." She told him in a hushed whisper. 

"Really? Can I come with you right now?" He asked excitedly. 

"Unfortunately, no. You do need to go back to them, they are your legal guardians. But please, write to me if you need help. I'm staying in Margate." She said to him. 

"Thank you Professor," He smiled and gave her a hug before running off with his friends towards the train. 

Clarice grabbed her luggage and apparated out of Hogsmeade station to her small cottage home. Immediately, she went to work. After releasing all of her creatures into the backyard, she tended to her garden. That's how she spent most of her summer, playing with her creatures and researching her plants for lesson plans. 

One afternoon as she was on her hands and knees digging up new plant beds, she heard a pop. 

"What a lovely view." She immediately stood up and turned around. 

"Look who finally decided to stop by!" She exclaimed while brushing the dirt off of her overalls and wiping some sweat off her forehead. 

"Just really needed some mallosweets." He said while embracing the woman in a warm hug. 

"It's nice to see you too." She chuckled. "Come on in."

Severus walked into her cottage and immediately took notice how clean, organized, and warm it felt. They stood in her kitchen and he admired the navy blue walls and dark wooden cabinets. He took a seat on a stool next to her counter as she placed a cup of tea in front of him. 

"Your place is very nice." He told her. 

"Thank you, I had fun redecorating it. My parents taste were very old people-ish." She said. "We can sit on the couch."

They walked into her living area and took a seat on the couch. 

"I like the green wallpaper." He pointed out. 

"It's a cute place. Serves its purpose." She said. 

"How's your summer going?" He asked her. 

"Splendid, really. Very relaxing." She answered. 

"Did you hear about Black?" He asked her. 

"Do I read the prophet? Of course I did." She told him while blowing her tea. 

"I should tell you, he's Harry's god father." He sprung on her. 

"Oh boy, Harry doesn't know that right?" She asked him. 

"No and we don't want him to know either." He said. 

"Alright then. What have you been up to this summer?"

"Books. Lesson planning. More books." He responded. 

"Don't you have a life?" She teased. 

"I reckon you've been... gardening? This whole time?" He said back. 

"I at least have my creatures to keep me company." She said while pointing to Lucy resting on an armchair. "Perhaps you should get a pet."

"And do what with it when I got back to work?" He asked. 

"Uhh, take it with you? Like I do?" She laughed. 

"Hm, I'm not much of a cat person." He said. 

"Who said anything about a cat? There are plenty of crups that need to be rescued." She said while pointing to Ricky in the other chair. 

"Where would one go about getting one?" He asked her. 

"I know people." She replied. 

"Then perhaps you should get changed... and wipe the dirt off your face."