15| Read to me

Dante Angelo Romano POV:
————————————————

I watch as she sleeps in my arms.

Alessandro and his daughter have long since left and I've finished all the work I needed to do today 20 minutes ago. She's been asleep for 3 and a half hours now and I would be lying if I said I haven't thought about waking her up, but I know her stomach was probably killing her and sleep is probably the best way to deal with it.

When I saw Matteo gripping her wrist, I nearly lost my shit. I was seconds away from getting up and punching him dead in his jaw but I refrained.

That doesn't mean I'll be able to refrain later.

A knock at my door brings me out of my thoughts. "Enter." I say trying not to wake up the beauty in my arms.

The door opens and Lyra comes in. When she sees Aria in my arms, a sense of relief flashes through her eyes then a warm smile takes place on her face.

"I've been looking all over for her." she says as she stands at the door.

"She's been here with me. What do you need?" I ask not wanting anything to wake her up.

She nods her head, as if remembering the reason she came, and says "Mrs. Romano is here to see you, sir."

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion and begin getting up to go see why my mom is here when Aria groans and grips my arms.

Sitting back down, I look at her with a small smile before telling Lyra to bring my mom in.

Aria's hand fall from my arms and she falls right back into her slumber just as my mother walks through the door.

She makes her way over to the chairs in front of her desk, a wide smile on her face as she sees Aria sleeping in my arms.

"Mom, why did you come down here? You know I would've preferred you call me and I went over there." I say as she takes a seat.

She shakes her head and looks up at me. "I didn't want to trouble you with the trip."

I give her a ridiculous look. "Mom your house is a 15 minute drive."

She rolls her eyes. "Shut it. I'm here now and there's nothing you can do about it."

I narrow my eyes in suspicion at her. "And why are you here?"

Her smile widens. "Can I not see how my son is?"

I raise my eyebrow at her knowing damn well she would've called me like every other time.

She sighs then looks back down at Aria and says "Fine. Domenico said that she was staying here until Viktor is dealt with and I thought she could use the face of a female but she seems just fine right now."

I tighten my hold slightly around Aria which my mother seems to notice. Looking back up to me, I see something sparkle in her eyes. "You're different around her."

I let out a chuckle. "Mom you don't live here. Stop saying things you don't know."

She shakes her head. "Never once have I seen you let another female sleep in your arms that isn't Aurora. I just seen you tighten your hold protectively around her, Dante. And I'm your mother and a mother always knows."

I roll my eyes at her last statement and look down at Aria.

I am different around her but I don't want to be.

I don't want to let her in and fully bring her into this life because of the horrors it could do to her. I know she'll be able to handle it I'm just not sure if I could ever live with myself if something happened to her because I brought her into this world.