Chapter 11

" What?!" Emma was surprised.
Adeline sat squirming uncomfortably.
Emma said, "Adel, you have to tell Connor. What if that person is a stalker? That sounds creepy. What if that person will do something bad?"
Adeline smiled stiffly. "So far, that guy's only been watching me, Emm. I haven't had any terror. By the way, I'm still relieved by that. Besides, if Connor finds out about this, I can imagine what he'll do. I don't want to bother him anymore. I can solve it myself."
Emma looked at Adeline closely. "What if it's your ex-boyfriend who is stalking you?"
Adeline froze. " What?"
"Maybe, right?" Emma mumbled. Adeline frowned. They were silent for a moment. Emma let Adeline think. Shortly after, Adeline opened her mouth and said, "I don't know. I don't think so. Some time ago I met Blake's father at the supermarket. He said Blake ran off to Mexico after that incident, you know, when you were the victim."
Adeline sighed then continued. "I'm sorry for what happened to you. I heard from Connor that you have amnesia and a trauma that triggers your multiple personalities. Even though it's late, I hope you can forgive me."
Emma widened her eyes in disbelief. "Wait a minute." Emma raised her right hand. " What did you say earlier? Connor said I have a split personality? whooaa .. " Seeing Adeline nod her head, Emma looked away in disbelief. "Really that jerk huh.."
Emma crossed her arms in front of her chest and faced Adeline. "After everything I've done for him, he said that I have a split personality." Emma snorted with annoyance. " Has it ever occurred to him that I changed because I've had a near death experience in my life? You know, the feeling that you know you're going to die but there's a lot of things you haven't done and you regret it. Then, after you've been given a second chance at life, don't you want to change it?"
Adeline smiled in amusement when she saw Emma grumbling peevishly in front of her.
Emma waved her hand in front of Adeline. "Oh.. Ignore me."
Adeline chuckled. "You're right. Everyone can change. Especially if you have experienced difficult things in life."
"That's right." Emma snorted and then said, "Maybe I should try to kill him first so that he too has a near-death experience. That way, his high mountain ego could become a valley."
Adeline laughed at Emma's chatter. "Right. I think that's a great idea."
They both burst out laughing. Emma cleared her throat. "Adel, whatever happens, you better tell Connor before it's too late. Even if his ego is as high as a skyscraper, at least he's reliable. Trust him."
Adeline nodded her head. "I'll think about it. Thank you, Em." Adeline smiled sincerely.
"Mamaaaaa..!!!" from a distance, Emma heard Kayden calling. Emma turned to Kayden. Soon, Kayden had hugged Emma tightly. "Mom, come on. Play with me."
Emma kissed Kayden's forehead. "Yes, baby. But, first, there is something you must do."
Kayden looked at Emma intently as if to ask 'what' while tilting her head.
"My friend sits beside me." Emma gave a hint. Kayden gasped then hugged Emma back. Kayden looked at Adeline, timidly. Half of his face was still buried in Emma's shoulder. Kayden waved a little. "Hi, Auntie. I'm Kayden." Kayden greeted in a small voice.
After awakening from her surprise, Adel smiled gently and reached out her hand for a handshake. "Hi, baby. I'm Adeline. you can call me Adel."
While hugging Emma, Kayden reached out and shook hands with Adeline. After shaking Adeline's hand, Kayden buried his face again in Emma's shoulder. Every now and then he glanced at Adeline and whispered, "Mama, Auntie is very beautiful."
Adeline and Emma looked at each other. Although Kayden's voice wasn't too loud but because of his position between Emma and Adeline, they both could hear Kayden's whispers clearly. Both of them chuckled. Emma pulled Kayden up and propped his little body in front of her. "Who is prettier? Mama or Auntie?"
Kayden tilted his head. His brow furrowed as if he was solving a difficult question. Seeing Emma narrowing her eyes, Kayden replied, "Mama."
" are you sure?"
Kayden nodded his head playfully. "Although auntie is very beautiful, but for me, mama is the most beautiful." Kayden smiled widely.
"Oh, my little baby fox." Emma kissed Kayden's face so many times until he giggled in amusement.
"You have a son, Emm? since when?" Adeline asked curiously.
"Oh.. Kayden is my husband's son." Emma answered curtly.
" Husband?" Adeline looked at Emma in confusion.
Emma cleared her throat. "Well, I just married a man with one child." Emma blushed.
Adeline stared. "I thought you liked Connor." Adeline mumbled.
Unfortunately, Emma heard Adeline's muttering. She waved her hand. "Nooo.."
"But..." Adeline hesitated to explain what she meant. She remembered the look on Emma's face every time she visited Connor's office. Her face shows between jealousy and envy. She guessed that Emma's love was one-sided, because Connor didn't seem to think of her as anything more than his secretary.
Emma was speechless for a moment. Before Emma inhabited Emma's real body, Adeline must have seen Emma's real expression and behavior when she was jealous. Fellow women can definitely feel someone's jealousy accurately. Being a rival in love or a threat to the main female character was something she must be avoiding. Whatever happened before was just the past. The one who was inhabiting Emma's body now was the present Emma. She had nothing to do with the past.
Emma smiled stiffly and waved her hand again. "Well, I'm just jealous that he can get married while just going out to date is hard for me."
Feeling enlightened, Adeline nodded her head. "That's why after you got out of the hospital, you got married right away."
"Haha.. Please, don't conclude it like that. I'm so embarrassed." Emma scratched her head and said sheepishly.
"Does Connor know?" Adeline asked.
Emma shook her head. "No. Please don't tell him yet. I'll just tell him later. We're only getting married in the city hall. We haven't had a wedding ceremony and reception yet." Emma sighed guiltily. The two of them were silent for a moment.
Adeline gasped in surprise when she felt a vibration in her trouser pocket. "Oh, this is Connor." Adeline picked up the phone. After saying a few words and nodding her head, Adeline turned off the phone. "Emm, I have to go. Connor has already picked me up in the park parking lot."
"Ok. See you later." Emma patted Kayden's back gently, "Say bye to Auntie."
" Bye .. bye .. Auntie . " Kayden waved his hand cutely .
Adeline waved her hand with a big smile.
Emma looked at Adeline's back which was moving away. After her body was out of sight, Emma hugged Kayden with a sigh.
Emma backed away slowly and looked at Kayden's face intently. Emma removed Kayden's bangs that covered her cute forehead. "Kayden. Listen carefully. Never ever like to lie. Once you lie, you will create the next lie, the next, the next, and so on. Eventually you will lie to yourself to satisfy your ego. Don't be like that. It's not good because it will destroy you and those who love you. Do you understand?"
Kayden nodded. "Yes. Kayden cannot lie."
Emma kissed Kayden's forehead. "You can lie if you want to prank someone. It's a game. But never lie about the truth. You understand?"
Kayden nodded again. " I understand."
Emma laughed amusedly. Kayden was young, maybe he didn't really understand it right now, but someday, when he was an adult, he would understand what she was saying. "Let's wash your hands. After that we go to Aunt Susan's boutique."
Emma took Kayden to the sink to wash her hands.
****
ding!
Emma and Kayden came out of the elevator hand in hand. They had just returned from Susan's boutique. Susan greeted them happily. She showered Kayden with kisses. Unexpectedly, it turned out that Kayden was able to win Susan's heart, who thought that children are troublesome. Susan even bought Kayden lunch and a lot of toys. Even when Kayden took a nap, Susan waited for Kayden while designing clothes for a boy Kayden's age.
Emma smiled proudly seeing Susan's design. It was a design of suits, t-shirts, and shirts with a whale pattern. They looked cute and unique.
"Grandmaaaaa!!" Kayden shouted loudly as soon as they entered the penthouse. Emma stood stiffly in shock. In front of her, in their living room, stood a middle-aged woman who looked beautiful and elegant. She smiled widely and her smile reminded Emma of Ashton.
Emma panicked. In her heart, she wondered what to do. She could only stand frozen and silent in front of the door, smiling stiffly. Ashton's mother crouched in front of Kayden then hugged and kissed Kayden gently. Every now and then she looked at Emma.
" Hi!" Ashton's mother stood up and waved at Emma with a smile. "Why are you standing there? Come here."
"Ah.. Y-yes!" Emma answered stuttering. Emma approached the two of them.
"Did you guys have dinner?" Ashton's mother asked casually.
"Not yet, Grandma". Kayden answered as he ran towards the kitchen. His grandmother and mother followed behind him.
"Okay. Bella has prepared your favorite food Kay-kay." Amanda sat in front of the pantry beside Kayden.
"Yeaay! I like shrimp." Kayden shouted happily. Amanda rubbed Kayden's head affectionately.
Emma sat next to Kayden. With a small smile, she rubbed Kayden's back as she said, "Kayden, have you washed your hands?"
Bella, who had finished arranging the food on the pantry table, approached Kayden. "Let me wash Kayden's hands, Emm." Bella smiled then took Kayden. "Come on baby."
Emma nodded and smiled gratefully. Her smile stiffened when she realized Amanda was looking at her curiously. The corners of Amanda's lips curled into a beautiful smile.
"I'm Amanda, Ashton's mother. Call me Amanda or, if you prefer, mom." Amanda held out her hand to Emma. Emma shook hands with Amanda. However, before she could say anything, Amanda pulled Emma into her arms. "Oh dear. I still can't believe this. Ashton finally got married. And he didn't say anything to me. That brat."
Emma looked stupid. She just blinked her eyes repeatedly. Amanda pulled Emma up and looked her up and down. "Are you Emma Clarke? Secretary Connor Miller? Kayden calls you mama? Bella says you're beautiful, cute and a good girl?" Amanda asked enthusiastically but the question sounded more like a statement than a question.
"Uh.. yeah?" Emma answered with uncertainty.she also sounded hesitant because she really didn't know what to do in this current situation. For the first time in her life, she met her mother-in-law.
Amanda laughed happily. "Ah.. I'm so happy." Emma returned to her seat. Amanda smiled at Emma who was still embarrassed. She sighed. "You know, Emm. I've always been worried about Ashton and Kayden. Especially since Kayden's mother passed away. Ashton seemed to shut himself and Kayden grew up without a mother's love. I even had a hard time meeting them."
Amanda told her Ashton's past. Kim Duncan was Ashton's fiancé. Before they married, Kim was pregnant with Kayden. Kim told Ashton that her pregnancy turned out to be risky a month before Kayden was born, two months before their wedding. It got them into a big fight. Kim insisted on keeping the pregnancy while Ashton didn't want to lose her. Kim's persistence melted Ashton's heart. Kim passed away a week after giving birth to Kayden.
Amanda looked at Emma who was silent. She was thinking about something, then said, "I'm telling you about this not to hurt you. I just want you to know where they came from. Now that you are Ashton's wife and Kayden's mother, I beg you to take good care of them. I want you to love them as you love your family. No mother wants her child to suffer. Therefore, as a mother, I want them to live a healthy and happy life. Will you make them happy for me, Emm?"