37

their walk home was quiet. as the two walked past the playground they spent their time at the other day, jaemin stopped in his tracks but she didn't seem to notice.

"eunha," he called softly. she stopped and turned around. her eyes telling him she's been crying throughout the walk.

"let's talk." he said. she thought about it for awhile before entering the park herself.

jaemin followed right behind and found himself smiling as he saw her sitting on the same swing she sat on the other day. he seated himself on the other swing and the pair continued to sit in silence.

"why?" jaemin broke the silence and shifted his full attention on her.

"what?"

"what's wrong? why are we like this?" he asked.

she scoffed, "i'm sorry," and wiped more of her tears, "i know you're busy and you have a lot of worries right now. i don't know why i feel this way too. you don't have to worry about us. it's not your fault."

"you can tell me i don't have to worry about this distance between us as much as you want, but i won't be able to just brush it off." jaemin said, moving from his seat and kneeled on one knee before her.

the moment their eyes met each other's, she looked away and more tears starts to stream down her face.

"why? what's wrong?" he asked again, taking her hands in his with his eyes locked on her.

"why are you doing this?" she said in between her sobs.

he stayed silent, although his eyes starts welling up with tears. his thumb continues to rub the back of her hands.

"you pulled me in and when i want to come to you, you pushed me away. what is it that you want from me, jaemin?" she said and his heart broke right at that moment.

the tears he was holding back for awhile now escaped as he watched the tears of the girl he cared for streaming down her face.

"i really want to run to you when i'm happy and when i'm troubled. i really want to be there for you through your ups and downs. but you keep pushing me away. what am i supposed to do, jaem?"

a tear fell down his cheek, his body looked calm compared to how tangled his mine was.

"i'm sorry," his lips quivering as he mumbled, "i'm really sorry."

his thumb reached out to wipe off the endless streaming of her tears.

"stop," she muttered, "stop doing this if you're going to push me away again."

"no, i won't push you away anymore. i'll keep you close to me. i'm sorry for pushing you away. i never meant to do that." he said, continuing to wipe off her tears.

within a few seconds, he embraced her figure, his hand brushing through her hair as he comforted her. he clasped her ever so tightly that they were nearly one person.

she planted her face on his shoulders, adding on to the list of his clothing that she stained with her tears. but he couldn't care less. with each passing second, his grip around her tightened, unwilling to let go of her.

she didn't feel suffocated but rather comforted and the hug itself felt gentle and warm to her even in the cold dusk air.

but it's undeniable that she was confused, the friendship between the two that started off with 'let me help you to understand yourself' grew into something more than just a friendship. his existence did help her understand more of herself and on top of that, she learned that - being in his arms are one of her favourite places.