chapter 30

A week later, a maid comes into her room.

"Miss Charlotte, the Duke has requested your presence."

What is it now.

"Mkay."

Charlotte follows the maid to the living room where the whole family was taking a seat.

"Hm?" Charlotte questions as she takes a seat. She glanced at everyone. Emilia's eyes were sparkling.

"So, Charlotte. We've decided to surprise you with a trip to Elrod with your lover."

"Huh?"

Emilia clings onto Charlotte.

"Mhm! You're gonna absolutely enjoy this trip."

"Explain."

"Prepare to leave to Elrod in two days, just you two together."

"For one, did you even ask him about this trip? Two, are you guys not going?"

"We have sent him a letter, he has agreed to accompany you on this small trip. No, it will only be you two."

"How long is the trip gonna be?"

"Just three days and two nights. You will go by magic circle."

"What are your real intentions?"

A drop of sweat slides to the Duke's chin.

"Truthfully, the king has invited you to Elrod's banquet after watching you defeat Wynknight's knight. Which you never told me about. Either way, I agreed to let you meet him and I can't back down."

"So what's in it for me?"

"A small trip with your lover?"

"3000 gold."

"2000."

"2500."

"Deal."

"I'll get packing now."

-

In Charlotte's room. She summons a messenger bird to her window and attaches a note on it.

To Ain,

Did you agree to my father's idea of a small trip to Elrod?

-
Half an hour later the bird returned.

He said you agreed to going to Elrod. I thought you agreed first so I decided to come along as well. You don't know how dangerous Elrod is.

"So that pesky old man fooled both of us."

She attaches another note to the bird,

He said you agreed first. That old man really is something huh. Well, when are you gonna arrive at my residence to create the magic portal? I'm assuming the day after tomorrow.

-

Half an hour goes by once again.

Yep, I'll see you then.

-

Charlotte starts packing for the trip. Dresses, shirts and accessories. Necessities and more.

-

Two days later, Ain arrives at the Duke residence and they go into the magic circle with their luggage. The both arrive at Elrod.

It was a majestical kingdom. It was different from other kingdoms, it had many trees and vines. Like a majestical realm, originally the Elrod kingdom were made for elves. Although a prince fell inlove with the princess from Elrod and the two species have been united ever since. The current king and queen are both humans though, but the king is part elf.

Ain and Charlotte arrived at an inn that the duke has booked. Downstairs was a bar while upstairs was where they were staying, the room looked nice. Wooden flooring with vines attached at the corners of the rooms, paintings hung on the wall. It carried out a forest vibe. They both liked the room very much.

As it was still noon, they decided to lay out their stuff and wore cloaks outside as Ain insisted since it was cold out. They brought a money pouch with them each filled with gold coins.

They enjoyed the scenery a lot, it was truly beautiful. Something Charlotte would never expect as a kingdom.

The market wasn't much different from Dianly's and Wynknight's though. They sold freshly cooked meat wrapped in lettuce, it was delicious. The aroma of the market went every where. The delightful smell of food went up their nostrils and they scouted the area for food.

Of course not wanting to lose sight of each other, their hands slowly intertwined, holding each other's hand. They moved on and got a lot of mouth watering viands. They enjoyed their meal.

Charlotte saw many elves, their pointy ears stood out a lot. They looked mystical though, she thought. She witnessed an elf getting picked on by a human. The two were female.

Charlotte was eavesdropping on their conversation,

"Really? An elf like you will never be comparable to me."

"I..."

"You don't even speak. You can't do anything can you? You're useless. Your pointy ears are so gross."

Charlotte went up to the elf, her hand placed on the elf's shoulder while the other still hanging onto Ain's hand.

"I agree, human. You aren't comparable to this elf right here. You wanna know why? It's because she's gorgeous and her ears make her what she is, I personally think she's enchanting. Just cause you're so called 'normal' doesn't mean you're special. In fact, you're just basic. Scram."

Charlotte dead stared into her eyes and she stomped away infuriated. Hearing those words come from another human was irritating.

The elf faced towards Charlotte with teary eyes, Charlotte used her fingers to wipe the elf's tears off.

"If anyone dares call your ears ugly, you must never think that way. They're unique and you should be proud." Charlotte said smiling soft.

The elf hugged onto Charlotte,

"It's okay now." Charlotte said and patted her back.

"Well you better get going, your parents might be worried."

"Thanks miss!"

They wave to each other, Ain watched the whole thing. He was proud of Charlotte. They went on with their day. After it hit evening they went back to the inn and had a drink.

Before they reached their limit, they stopped drinking and went back upstairs for a good night's rest.

The bed was comfortable, although there was a slight problem. There was only a single bed. Charlotte and Ain both insisted that they would sleep on the floor but the two of them wouldn't budge. At the end they decided to sleep on the same bed, together. Although it was cramped, the soft mattress made up for it.

It was awkward at first but it went well, they slept soundly for the rest of the night.

When Ain awoke, he noticed Charlotte was hugging onto Ain like a pillow, her head pressed against his chest. He didn't want to wake her up so he stayed in place, he enjoyed it quite a lot either way.

Charlotte suddenly woke up, she was only half awake and couldn't process what was happening. She thought the thing she was hugging was a pillow so she embraced tighter. Ain's face started becoming red.

After awhile, Charlotte realises that her so called pillow was Ain. She let go and turned away, embarrassed.

They get up and get ready.