Chapter 19 - I Can't Feel My Fingers

After a while, the sun starts to get low in the sky, and I realize just how long we've been out here.

Hunter must notice too because he turns to me. "We should probably head back. I don't want your parents to worry," he says rubbing the back of his neck with the hand that's not holding mine.

No, we still haven't let go, and yes, it's making me incredibly giddy inside.

"Yeah, you're probably right," I reply, but I can't help but be a little disappointed that such a perfect day with him is coming to an end.

"Come on," he says, and stands up before helping me to my feet. We walk back to his car in comfortable silence, and finally unlace our hands as Hunter opens the door for me.

My hand immediately feels empty without his in it, and I wonder how I got so used to it so fast.

Hunter hops in the drivers' side and turns the car around to head back the way we came. After a while, I notice that we're not going in the direction of my house.

"I thought you said we should head back?" I ask.

"We are, but not before I get you something to eat. I mean, you must be hungry by now," he says, glancing at me as he drives.

"Oh, you don't have to do that," I say. I'm about to tell him I'm not hungry, before I'm promptly cut off by a loud growl coming from my stomach.

Hunter chuckles. "I'll take that as a yes," he says, and I consider hurling myself out of the car.

"Oh God," I reply, covering my face with my hands. "Okay, fine, maybe I'm a little bit hungry."

Hunter nods and turns on the radio, which I'm insanely grateful for, just in case my stomach decides to emit another stupid embarrassing whale noise. My head rests on my hand as I stare out the window, watching the trees fade into buildings and cars. I guess we're back in the real world.

I'm just starting to wonder how much homework I'll have to do when I get home tonight when a thought enters my mind.

Is this a date??

At the idea of it, nerves start to take over, and my stomach starts doing flips. This isn't supposed to be a date, is it? I mean, not that I don't want to go on a date with Hunter, I do. I just would need more time to adjust and prepare and, not to mention, I would really really hate being in my school uniform for that. Maybe I should just ask..

"What are you thinking about?" Hunter says, and I look up to see that he's been looking at me, eyebrow raised.

"Sorry, what?" I reply, having been completely distracted by my train of thought.

"Let me rephrase that, what are you worrying about?" he asks, a knowing look on his face.

I glance down at my hands, which are both resting in my lap. "Okay, how did you know that? I wasn't even playing with my necklace," I say. I swear this guy can read minds.

"You don't have to be. Your eyes are a dead-giveaway, Mia. You can look into them and just tell." He says it so casually, like he barely even needed to take his eyes off the road to see it.

Curse my stupid giant eyes. I should really work on hiding my emotions better, but there's never been any need to up until now. I've never had someone pay so much attention to me before.

"Well, it's nothing really," I say, looking down at my hands in my lap. "I was just wondering. Is this a, you know..," I trail off, hoping he's not going to make me say it.

Hunter looks at me, confused for a moment, then I see realization dawn on his features. "Oh, you thought? Oh no, this isn't a date," he says quickly.

A little too quickly.