Chapter 23 - Trouble's Kind of My Thing

"For the last time, stay still."

"All I said was be careful with those things."

"Mia, if he doesn't quit moving, my hand's going to slip, and you're going to be dating a bald guy," Dejay threatens, clearly a little ticked that Hunter still hasn't stopped fidgeting.

I sigh. "Come on, Hunter," I say. "Dejay knows what he's doing, I promise. Would you please just hold still?" I ask, setting my hand over his.

He looks up at me for a moment, then closes his eyes and lets out a sigh. "Fine..," he says, reluctantly.

Wow, I really wasn't expecting that to work.

Dejay chuckles. "Dude, you're so whipped," he says, picking up the clippers again.

"Shut up," Hunter shoots at him before glancing at me. "Remind me why I'm getting a hair cut again?" he asks.

"Because," I say, taking a seat across from him on Dejay's bed, "you're meeting my parents tonight, and we're trying to convince them to let me go out with you."

"I know that," he replies, "but is a haircut really necessary? I'm pretty sure I could win them over with just my charm and devastatingly good looks," Hunter smirks at me.

I laugh. "I'm sure you could," I say, "but you have no idea what we're up against here.  They're already strict, and I don't want the first thing out of my dad's mouth to be 'get a haircut.' We're just trying to cover all our bases. Besides, it's not even a real haircut, he's just going to trim the back a little."

"Really?" Dejay starts. "Are you sure you don't want me to give him a nice clean look like mine?" he asks, running a hand over his own short dark hair, and Hunter starts to look skittish again.

"Hell no." "Absolutely not." Hunter and I respond at the same time.

"Fine, fine. Keep your pants on, it was only a suggestion," he mumbles, returning to trimming Hunter's hair.

I personally love Hunter's hair, but lately, it has gotten a little too long in the back to suit the tastes of my retired Marine father. Hence, the trim.

Since Hunter and I started dating, it's only natural that he'd want to take me out. Like on an actual date. But, like I said before, my parents aren't exactly warmed up to the whole idea.

I refuse to lie to my parents though, not again, not even for Hunter. They trust me, and I don't want to abuse that. With that in mind, I was absolutely terrified to mention this to Hunter the other day when he asked me on a proper date.

I mean, why wouldn't I be? The last guy I mentioned it to promptly dumped me afterwards.

I approached the topic cautiously, bracing myself for what I knew was coming. He would think I'm one of those girls who expects a marriage proposal after a few kisses. He would tell me he wasn't sure about me anymore. That he thought things were moving too fast or getting too serious. That maybe we should take a break, or worse, that he didn't want me anymore. After all, that's all I'd ever experienced.

But Hunter was different. He shocked me.

I was expecting the worst, and he managed to do the exact opposite. He didn't even hesitate to say that he would talk to my parents. He said that it wasn't a big deal, and that he had been expecting that since the day I told him my parents were strict. Actually, he didn't even seem fazed at the challenge of trying to win them over.

But what stuck out to me the most, was that not once during the entire conversation did he suggest that I lie.

It was at that moment I knew exactly what it is that I feel for him, and it definitely surpasses liking or strong attraction. The exact word for how I feel has been in the back of my mind for a while now, but I won't admit it, not even to myself. Not yet.