22. Dead End

Utter silence met Alpha Bennett's declaration.

I didn't think some were even breathing.

No one refuted Alpha Bennett's proposal, which spoke more beyond words about their situation.

They had reached a dead end.

A standpoint, with no possible exit.

Their situation was worse than they portrayed.

If Alpha Bennett wanted to join, that meant-

"You would have to abdicate your title as Alpha." Jude stated, wording my thoughts.

It was like everyone dispelled a breath hearing the words from Jude's lips.

From my peripheral, I finally spotted Mila. Her golden hair was hidden, tucked away into her sweater. She found a spot at the end of the crowd, observing silently. Judging from her expression, she found the situation interesting. She met my gaze briefly, her expression unreadable before she returned her attention back to the two Alphas.

Although he looked like he was going to be terribly sick, Alpha Bennett nodded. "I know. I will, only if you agree."

"This seems too fishy." Kian whispered. "I don't trust him."

Neither of us did but we did trust Jude.

"This is uncharacteristic of you." Jude spoke plainly. His chains clinked as he shifted slightly.

Jace appeared as if he was going to say something, but Ace shook his head, holding a palm against his twin brother's chest. At least one of them was smart enough to not engage. I knew they were frothing at the mouth to spit something out, but it seemed like daddy dearest was not happy with their interruptions so far.

"What are your conditions?" Jude asked.

Kian and I kept our expressions carefully blank. We had no idea if Jude was genuinely entertaining the idea that he would permit Alpha Bennett's Pack to join the Shadow Hunters but their Pack members stood at their Alpha's side, reading the atmosphere with caution.

"I only have one condition. I want safety granted to all my Pack members." Alpha Bennett claimed, "That is the only condition."

"What makes you think I would even let you inside my Pack after the things you've done?" Jude asked, raising a brow.

Alpha Bennett swallowed hard. Maybe he was swallowing his pride because what he was offering wasn't something small. He was willing to give away his title and authority for the hope of safety for his Pack. It didn't seem like a very Alpha Bennett thing to do, hence, we had more than a good amount of doubt.

Sure, people changed but that didn't equate to immediate trust.

"I would be a fool not to have my own conditions. Although, mine is a longer list compared to yours." Jude responded.

"What are they?"

"Why do you want to join my Pack first?" Jude asked instead, "There must be a reason you're wanting to join my Pack and eschew your title as an Alpha. What is it that you want?"

Alpha Bennett hesitated, clenching his jaw tight. "It's complicated." He reluctantly admitted.

"Uncomplicate it. No bullshit." Jude dared him. "What is the reason you're trying to seek refuge in my Pack? I will know if you're lying to me, so be wise in your words Bennett."

I was amazed Alpha Bennett hadn't retaliated. Jude had simply stripped him of his Alpha title by only calling out his surname, which was vastly offensive in its own means. Yet, the opposing Alpha merely stood at his side of the cave, staring back with nothing but restrained contempt.