Forest of Blades Pt. 2

The morning comes far too early and my muscles weep from the gift of soreness the stiff ground has given them. Frode lays to my right still sleeping, at least I hope he is. I knock my foot into the top of his and he scrunches up his nose and turns over with a small grumble. At least one of us got some sleep.

Across our makeshift camp, Haralda and Iver stand quietly whispering to themselves. I attempt to read their lips but I can't make out any words. A feint discoloration surrounds some of her wounds she received yesterday. Most likely starting to decay much like my own but it is not as far gone from what I can tell. I need to keep my situation to just Iver and myself, at least for now. No need to worry everyone. Langley sits close with a disheartened look as he fumbles with a copper leaf in his hands.

"How are you holding up," I whisper as I lean in closer to him.

"I'm doing okay. Just trying to figure out how to be useful is all," he replies letting the leaf drift slowly to the ground.

I stand up and walk over to kneel beside him, "You are the one keeping this team heading forward. Saved my hide a time or two already. How can you think what you do has no value?"

"It was really Haralda who saved you. I was just...there. But when I'm on my own, like with Bo, I just-" he trails off scrunching his knees into his chest. I didn't realize how much losing Bo was upsetting him.

I grab my axe and hold it firmly, "Stand up. Grab your spear."

"What is going on? Is someone attacking?" He questions, squirming to his feet and steadying his spear in his hands."

I know I could never find the words that could comfort him but words aren't what he needs. "You want to be useful? Then I will help you get stronger. Allow me to teach you how to fight."

*****

"Keep a side profile with your left leg back, less of a target to hit." I say as I adjust Langley's stance. "Keep your left hand on the butt of the spear and then find the center of the weapon. That is where you want to place your right hand. "

Langley looks at his spear and then back up at me, "I think I got it."

"Alright. Then lets go."

Langley launches his spear towards me and I quickly deflect and rise my handaxe towards his throat. "Keep your spear up high. Always. Bring it back swiftly to protect your face and other vital spots on your body. You can be quick to strike back too. Alright... Again!"

Langley grips his spear and looks at me with determination. We continue trading blows and a small smile creeps onto his face, his troubled thoughts dissipating from his head. His next thrust sails over my left shoulder and I step towards him, sweeping his feet out from under him and he hits the ground with a thud.

"Your reach is your greatest ally in a fight. Take every advantage you have. You have lost once your opponent has gotten too close. " I smile and extend my hand to him.

"Now you are just being an ass." He chuckles as he clasps my hand and stands to his feet.

"Looks like you boys are having some fun over here," Haralda comments as she strolls over to where Langley and I are having our sparing session. Her large sword rests on her shoulder.

"I'm sure he has been having fun knocking me around," Langley remarks jabbing his elbow into my side but his smile has still not left his face.

He walks past Haralda and sits on the ground close by. Past him, Bjorn sits on a dead log with a hauntingly blank expression, presumably watching us the entire time. Frode, unaffected by the sound of Langley's and my skirmish, is still fast asleep with Iver close by tending to a new fire.