Chapter 8: The Twin

Chapter 8: The Twin

Bago umalis, dinala ako ni Ms. Laura sa isang kwarto sa second floor.

"Sweetie, here's Eleanor from the apothecary for your medicines."

Sumulyap ako sa babaeng nakaupo sa puting kama. She was in the middle of reading a book nang ibaba niya ito para humarap sa'min. Lumapit si Ms. Laura at umupo sa tabi niya.

"Are you sure you're okay here? I won't go if you need me here."

"It's fine, Mom."

I never thought a voice could sound so feminine until I heard Zanra's voice. It's like hearing flowers in the form of voice. Soft spoken yet steady.

Ms. Laura kissed her daughter's forehead before walking back to me. "I'll leave you two here. Pwede mong ipaalam sa isa sa mga kasama namin sa bahay kapag aalis ka na."

Muli siyang humarap kay Zanra. "We'll be back this evening."

Pilit ngumiti si Zanra. "Drive safely."

Tumahimik ang kwarto nang makaalis si Ms. Laura. From the open window, I heard a car leaving the mansion. Lumapit ako sa isang desk para ipatong ang paper bag laman ang kanyang gamot.

"Ms. Zanra, here's your medicine. They're in capsule form since you've requested it last time-"

"You're new here?" Nakatuon ang atensyon niya sa'kin.

"Yes."

"What are you here for... in Van Zanth?"

I have nowhere else to go. Pero sa halip, iba ang sinagot ko. "To work."

Sinara niya nang tuluyan ang hawak niyang libro. "It's time for my afternoon stroll. Can you go with me?"

Anabeth didn't mention about a stroll. Is it still part of my visit? Zanra pulled herself out of the bed, white dress reaching the floor, long wavy hair cascading down her back. She's beautiful with a heart shaped face and eyes that resembled her mother, along with the prominent features of a Van Zanth, graceful and tall. But I heard from Anabeth that Zanra is a pure human and base on her health records, she has weak body and an unstable heart.

Zanra took a thin cardigan from the back of the door before facing me. "Let's go."

I bit my lower lip bago sumunod sa kanya. Sa living room pa lang, ilang mga tagasilbi ang nabigla nang makita si Zanra sa labas ng kanyang kwarto.

"M-Ms. Zanra?"

"It's time for my stroll," she said pointedly. Even with a body weaker than the rest, she had the authority similar to her father which made the servants bowed their heads.

Nanatiling madilim ang langit paglabas namin sa mansion. Zanra took her time walking in the garden, looking like a princess in a white dress, frail and delicate.

"Is your real name Eleanor?" she asked me, stepping carefully to the gravel path.

"Yes, that's what my first owner called me."

"Owner?" Lumingon siya sa'kin, nagtataka.

"I'm... I used to serve owners."

Her eyebrows scrunched together on her pale face. "In exchange of what?"

Natigilan ako bago sumagot. "For them to let me live."

We walked passed several archways made of thick rose bushes that resembled a tunnel. "Ironic, isn't it?" she said to me, hands clasped behind her back. "They owned you and let you live, while I own myself but I'm barely living."