2. clueless

After clocking off from work, Michelle and Caledon went to a nearby diner for dinner.

They sat in a booth and studied the laminated menus their server, a bright-eyed brown-haired girl, had handed them.

"Before we continue, I need to clarify something," she said, looking up.

"Uh huh," Caledon said, still focused on the menu in his hands.

"Just so you know, I've been single, like, my whole life. I don't know what couples do."

"Me too. I've never even gone on one date."

The wariness that had bunched up in her stomach receded. He was just as inexperienced as her.

"Me neither!" she said, mentally heaving a sigh of relief.

"We'll figure things out together, then," he said, flashing her a quick grin before returning his gaze to the menu. "Man, I'm starving. I didn't eat anything before my shift today."

"Why not?"

Michelle usually got the fried chicken and waffles at this place, so all she had to decide on was what drink she wanted.

"I overslept. I only had enough time to get ready for work."

The strawberry milkshake looked appetizing. Michelle put down the menu and looked around the restaurant for Elaine, their server.

"Then let's hurry up and order," she said. "Do you know what you want?"

"You've already decided? That's fast." He glanced up from his menu to look at hers, which was now lying flat on the tabletop.

"I usually just get the same thing here," she said. "I don't really have to think about it."

"Oh. I like to try something new every time I come here. Okay," he said, setting his own menu down, "I think I know what I want now."

Catching Elaine's eye, Michelle waved and flashed her a smile. Elaine finished setting down the food at another table and nodded at her.

"Great. I'm hungry, too," she said.

Her energy was in need of replenishment after the busy day they'd had at work.

Elaine came over, wearing a friendly smile on her face, and they placed their orders. When she left for the kitchen, Michelle got her phone out.

"I want to take notes," she explained.

Nodding, he took his phone out as well. "Good idea. So, we're officially together now."

"Yep, we totally are." She drummed her fingers on the tabletop. "Actually, I don't really know what we should do."

"Are we going to hold hands?" Caledon asked. "Couples are always holding hands and walking in twos."

He had a point.

Her friends were almost always holding hands with their boyfriends. It just seemed like the quintessential thing to do in a romantic relationship.

"I don't mind," Michelle said, "as long as you don't have clammy palms. No offense if you do."

She used to hold hands with her older brother, Nathan, all the time when they were younger, since he had to take her everywhere with him. It wasn't really a big deal to her, especially since she and Caledon were now officially in a relationship.

"No," he said. "My palms are pretty dry all the time."

"Great. I don't mind holding your hand every now and then."

A thought suddenly struck her, causing her to straighten up in her seat. Michelle shot her hand out to steady the pitcher of water she'd almost knocked over with her elbow.