11.03

"Well?" Nicole asked Arizona and Helena, at the attending's lounge

"Well?" Nicole asked Arizona and Helena, at the attending's lounge. "What did you decide?"

"I didn't. I was up all night." Arizona let out.

"Then you had ample time." The older woman teased.

"You can't drop a bomb like 'I have a brain tumor' and expect me to decide anything." The blond argued.

"I need more." Helena spoke up. "I-I don't have enough information to make a sound decision."

"You don't need to know anything you don't already know." She shrugged, opening a bottle of meds.

"Well, yeah, I do. Like, why the pills?"

"I'm getting a migraine. And you're not helping." Nicole raised a brow.

"S-see, look! How can we know if it's really just a migraine or if it's the tumor? I mean, what kind of tumor is it? I-I need to know what to expect. I need to know if you're gonna get tremors during surgery, o-or being to slur your speech as you talk me through a procedure... I need to know that this doesn't endanger the patients. I need to know more." Helena rambled.

"You don't get to!" Nicole cut her off. "Of course I'm not gonna do anything to endanger my patients. I am handling my situation responsibly, but it is my situation, and you are not entitled to it. You are entitled to my knowledge, to my years of discoveries and mistakes, and dead ends, and blood, and sweat, and innovations that you won't have to go through. That's the deal. The chance to take my work into your future. Just the two of you. So, could you please make up your mind?" She asked, then getting up. "Surgeries are cancelled, round on my service, I have an appointment. And don't ask what it is, cause, of course, I'm not gonna tell you."

As she closed the door behind her, Helena let out a little exasperated breath. "God, this is frustrating."

——

Helena was doing an ultrasound on one of Herman's patients, the father's baby asking. "Where's Dr. Herman?"

"Did you call my mom?" The mother asked him.

"You said to wait until there's something to be worried about."

"Well, now I'm worried." She muttered. "Why isn't she moving?"

"Emily, Corey, I'm concerned that your baby might be bleeding into the tumor itself, which is causing her to be anemic." She let out, forcing her face to stay calm and her voice impassive, as she cleaned the gel off of the woman's bump.

"Oh my god. Will she be alright?" He asked.

"Where's Dr. Herman?" The mother wanted to know.