Pouring Forth Oil

It was way passed sundown, when Arthur had returned to the camp. Unfortunately, Micah had come along with him. He jumped off of his horse and starts to laugh. "Look, who has returned!" Micah exclaims as he holds his arms out, smiling. A few greeted him but nothing like how everyone welcomed Sean back.

"Oh, the hell with you all." Micah grumbles as (y/n) shakes her head and rolls her eyes at this. Arthur grumbles under his breath and looks towards (y/n)'s tent to see her standing just outside of it. She smiles and waves at him, he nods at her then makes his way to her. 

"Hey, I'm gonna go talk to Strauss for a moment. I'll be right back." He tells her. "Okay." She said, nodding, and he starts to walk away. "Oh, Arthur. There was a letter for you. From someone named Mary." (Y/n) said and Arthur stops at this and his body tenses at this.

He looks down as his mind runs a mile a minute before he turns to (y/n). "Okay...thanks, (y/n)." He said and he walks towards Strauss while (y/n) frowns at this, fearing that she may have said the wrong thing.

"How did you get on, Herr Morgan?" Strauss asked Arthur. "Fine, our accounts are up to date. Sad sacks the lot of ’em." Arthur said as he hands Strauss the debt money he was able to collect. "Good, very good." Strauss said, gleefully. "My pleasure." Arthur grumbles.

"Well, if it’s pleasure you’re after…there is one other…this farmer, preacher, feller who I met in Valentine…Mr. Downes." Strauss said and Arthur perked up at this. "The opinionated little do-gooder…yeah, I know the one…I certainly know the type." he said. "Thank you, Herr Morgan." Strauss said, appreciatively.

"There’s no need to thank me…like you said…it’s pleasure I’m after." Arthur said. "He’s more slippery than he seems. I’ve tried being polite…don’t take any nonsense." Strauss informs. "Nonsense, me?" Arthur said, chuckling a bit, as he starts to go to his tent.

"If he doesn’t have the money, beat him." Strauss calls out after him. "Well, I usually do…" Arthur remarked. "I know. I know…" Strauss said and he retreats to his tent while Arthur heads to his own and sees the letter (y/n) mentioned. He opens it and reads it.

Dear Arthur,

I’ve written this letter a hundred times or more and I cannot get it right. It’s me. You know it’s me from the bad handwriting. I know I said when we last spoke and I was going off to get married, that we would not speak again. I know I said a lot of things and I meant them, I suppose, at the time, but I am not so proud as to not speak to people who care for me, or cared for me.

I’ve been in Valentine for a couple of months. I had some bad luck and, well, it’s a long story and not an interesting one, but I am here for now. I saw a couple of the girls, or whatever the polite term is for them, that ran with you and your associates in town and I heard tell of a man who sounded like you.

I would love to see you again, if you could spare me a little bit of your time. I’m renting a room at Chadwick Farm, just north of Valentine.

Yours,

Mary Linton.

Arthur sighs as he reads this then folds the letter back up and puts it away. After now getting things figured out with (y/n), She had to write to him. He runs his hand over his face as memories of him and Mary flooded his mind. Why now? He thought as the last talk they had replayed in his head, lowering his head as he looks at his feet and his arms braced on his knees.

Part of him wanted to ignore her letter and just move on but then other part of him wanted to go see what she wanted. It must be something important if she was writing to him years after saying she would never speak to him again.