Chapter Fifty

Eleanor had woken in an unfamiliar bright room, she sat up and saw Newt sitting on the edge of the bed with his head in his hands and he appeared to be crying. 

"Newt? Where are we?" She asked him while groaning. She was incredibly sore and her body was all achy. Newt picked his head up and wiped his tears away while smiling at the girl before him. 

"Hey you... how are you feeling?" He asked her while scooting closer and grabbing a hold of her hand. 

"Why are you crying? Where are we?" She asked again. 

"I uh- we're in St. Mungos." He told her. 

"Why?" She asked him. 

"You were hurt, El. Real badly." He said and she recalled what had happened and her hand went to her stomach. 

"Is- is our baby okay?" She said desperate for him to tell her some sort of information. That's when the tears fell harder from his eyes as he shook his head. 

"No," He barely was able to whisper it and Eleanor's hand went to her mouth as the tears flowed out of her like a tsunami. At this moment, her emotions were a total whirlwind. She felt guilty, guilty that her body hadn't protected this little soul. "Baby, I'm so sorry."

Eleanor clung to Newt and she sobbed into his shoulder until it turned to faint hiccups. 

"I want to go home." She whispered and he nodded. He stood up and went to talk to a nearby nurse and then came back. 

"They've got some paperwork for us to fill out, they recommend you making an appointment with your doctor for next week." He said while sitting down and filling out a clipboard. Eleanor swung her legs out of bed and reached for her wand. With a flick, she had abandoned the hospital gown and was wearing a brown skirt, navy blue sweater and her brown oxfords. 

"Let's get you home love," Newt said and left the clipboard on her bed. He slipped his arm around her waist and brought them right into their bedroom. Immediately, Eleanor climbed under the soft white comforter and cocooned herself in the blankets. 

"Are you hungry?" Newt asked while sitting next to her. 

"No," She said silently. "Is everyone still here?" 

"Bunty's here now," He said. 

"No, is Queenie here?" She asked him. 

"Queenie's gone baby," He reminded her and wished he didn't because the sobs started all over again. The one person that truly could know what she was going through right now, is gone. 

"Tina is still here with Jacob." He said trying to comfort her. 

"I can't believe her." She sobbed while grabbing Newt closer to her. 

"It's gonna be okay, we're going to get through this love," He said while petting her hair. 

It was days before Eleanor finally ventured out of their bedroom. It was Christmas day and she felt like she owed her friends a nice holiday for sticking around. 

"Merry Christmas El," Newt pecked her cheek and sat her down on the couch with him. Tina brought her a cup of tea. 

"Merry Christmas everyone," She forced a smile. Jacob was reading the prophet in one of their armchairs and Bunty was playing with Shep on the floor. She did notice there were a few gifts under the tree and she wondered if Newt had set this all up or maybe Tina did. No one spoke, for no one really knew what to say. With Queenie gone, this wasn't exactly the Christmas they were all hoping for. The fireplace turned a bright green and Theseus stepped into their living area.