Wattpad Original
There are 12 more free parts

castle

noun ~ a large building fortified against attack, typically containing thick walls and battlement towers

I was gently becoming aware of my surroundings again. I had at some point fallen deeply asleep to the warmth of Phoenix's touch. The sound and feel of the car coming to a stop slowly woke me from the peace.

I had been dreaming that I was running in wolf form, a small pup running beside me. It was strange and didn't make a lot of sense. We were running free, enjoying a game of chase.

I grumbled and shifted in my position, accidentally elbowing Phoenix in the process. I mumbled a sorry and forced myself into a sitting position, rubbing at my eyes. I still felt exhausted, my energy levels were too low for this.

Phoenix chuckled beside me and I turned to blink at him through hazy eyes. "You okay there, love?"

My stomach fluttered at the name, his cultured accent accentuated every sound. It made my own voice feel subpar, his whole presence of how he spoke and held himself still didn't fail to make me feel unworthy. But that was my brain, not the truth, so what people have been telling me...

"Sleepy," I muttered. "I had a dream..."

"A dream?" He mused.

I nodded and stifled a yawn. "What happened to the wolf pup?"

He frowned, looking behind me and out of the window. "When we were allowed through the border, we found it wandering. It was clearly spelled, cursed to not be able to leave... I managed to get it to settle after it tried to defend itself despite its broken limbs... he was frightfully skinny and badly injured... so we..."

"Ended his misery." I finished.

He nodded, grimacing before looking back at me. He scanned my expression but I gave a small smile and squeezed his arm. I accepted what he had to do, it made me feel relieved the pup wasn't being used anymore.

"It's okay. He didn't deserve that life." I cooed.

His large hand splayed across my back and rubbed a small circle into my spine. "You amaze me every day."

I blushed and scoffed at him, "You amaze me by becoming cheesier as time goes on."

He grinned, his eyes lighting with amusement. I knew he found pleasure in my teasing, especially since I had been bold enough to swipe at him.

He smoothed my hair down my back and gently pulled the bobble from the mess. I went to take it from him but he snatched it away before I could. He gestured for me to turn around and I gave him a look through squinted eyes before giving in to his demands.

With a huff, I turned in the leather seat and folded my arms in my lap. As his fingers ran through my hair I glanced out of the window. My breath caught at the view, the sun coming up lightened the landscape ahead.

Even through a tinted window and shadowed light, I could see the vibrant beauty of the land before me. Daffodils, clover and fresh yellow flowers littered a large field. Beyond stood half a dozen flower beds filled with all kinds of pink, yellow and blue flowers.

A cemented path weaves through the flowers, circling a large ten-foot-high water fountain. The statue in the middle appeared to be a woman in a long floaty dress, carved by well-crafted fingers. My brain twitched with the need to paint and the sensation of Phoenix finishing my hair was enough to have me clamber out of the vehicle.

I nearly forgot how high up I was but managed to stick the landing thanks to the step that protruded from the vehicle. I shut the door on a surprised Phoenix and glanced briefly at my reflection. My now plaited hair was wrapped into a bun at the top of my neck. I wasn't sure how he learnt to do that but it almost put my attempts at hair to shame. My dress was filthy and covered in blood and dirt much like the rest of me. The gauze on my wounds had seeped with blood and I winced at the tightness of my skin.