31. Shattered

SCARLETT

I stood by the balcony gazing out of the window, at the blue sea. I saw minute figures of two men fighting, at the far end of the beach on the other side of the resort. Followed by which a few more people approached there, ceasing their brawl.

Idiots... Isn't the resort booked by us? Who let those rascals in? Whatever.

The bright sky above the blue ocean reminded me of the day I graduated, which wasn't as pleasant as the weather that day.

Flashback

Today is my Aaron's birthday and I've got him a ring shaped pendrive. He would definitely like it. I also copied the pictures of our sweet moments in it, to make it more special.

The convocation just got over and I'm at the football field, waiting for Jacob who called me here urgently after the ceremony.

His exact words were, 'Come to the Football Field right now if you don't wish to see me dead'.

I know, boys around me can be so over dramatic at times. I'm used to it now.

Last time he said something like this was on Riley's birthday, when a professor confiscated the golden bracelet he was to gift her. I had to do the pleading on his behalf as I was the lady's favourite student.

"Lett, I need your help.", I turned around, to find him behind me, his face pale and gloomy.

"What happened? All okay?", I asked with concern.

"No Lett, nothing will ever be. Actually the thing is, I want to get away from Riley."

"What?! Why? She is such a nice girl.", I said flabbergasted.

"I know Lett. I don't want to, but I have to. It's for her own good. I don't want her to mess up her career because of our relationship."

"What do you mean?"

"She got a job offer from a big firm in Australia, but she is considering to reject it for me.", he elaborated with dropped face.

"What?"

"As you know, I'll be soon taking over my family business. We have chain of hotels to look after in the States and I can't step down. Fearing the separation, Riley is rejecting the proposal from Sydney and is planning to settle on a mediocre job profile in LA. I can't let her do such a huge sacrifice for me."

"Well, that must be too hard for you both. What have you thought then? For how long you'll be staying away from her?"

"I'll break up with her, for good."

"No. You're kidding right?", I raised my eyebrows expecting a yes, but he shook his head in denial.

"That's the last best idea. That's too difficult, but it has to be done for her better future and I need your help."

"Don't you think you should first talk to her about this?"

"Why do you think I didn't? The conversation concluded with our fight yesterday. So the best I could do is break up with her."

I sighed and asked, "How can I help you in this?", all I could sense is a disaster waiting ahead.

"You have to act as my girlfriend."

"Are you out of your mind?", I partly yelled.

"Lett listen. In the morning when we met, I lied that I'm breaking up with her because I love you and want to be with you."