XXXII: present, peter's wedding day

JORGEN:

I can't put together my feelings. Something about this building, these people, this environment, is ticking me off. It's setting me a little on edge, a little too far onto the edge.

JORGEN: I can't figure out why I remember Ben Peters

RON: who?

JORGEN: evan peters' older brother. Evan's the one that was with Jessie in high school. Apparently with her a little after as well.

RON: do you have any clues?

JORGEN: it's making me uneasy so i probably dont know him for a good reason

JORGEN: i also want to throttle Evan but I can't figure out why

RON: what did he do?

JORGEN: he's being weird with Jessie. He was talking to her earlier, normally, but there was something in it that made me really really uncomfortable.

RON: jealousy, maybe?

JORGEN: what would I possibly be jealous of him for?

RON: i'm going to put this out here, you're going to reject it, but maybe because of his previous involvement with Jess.

JORGEN: but I have no desire to be with jess, I don't see why i'd be jealous of him over that

RON: maybe you're feeling overprotective of her. I've noticed that.

JORGEN: of course im overprotective, that's, I dunno, that's jess and connor

RON: yes but you're currently in an assigned father figure role as well as a role of complete help, you're a lifeline for them so naturally you're on a more protective swing than you would be normally and even normally you're incredibly territorial. So, evan being in a position that was closer to jessie than you are now is probably setting you off just a smidge.

JORGEN: alright, yeah, that makes some sense

RON: i still think that you're jealous of their past relationship but if you're in the mood to shoot that down then go for it

JORGEN: i don't want to be involved with jessie

RON: mhm

RON: anyway I think just keep an eye on how you're feeling, you don't want an anxiety attack creeping up on you right now, especially when your relationship with your brother is already tense.

JORGEN: probably a good idea

JORGEN: doesn't help that i had the same nightmare last night, first time since i got here

RON: what do you think caused it

JORGEN: anxiety over this, i assume

"Hi," Jessie stops right beside me.

"Hello."

"Ron?"

I nod, "where's Connor?"

"May is showing him the organ upstairs."

I scan her features, the slight worry between her eyebrows, red hair tied up into a bun with two little pieces framing her face. She's in a simple sundress, the hem brushing across her thighs and showing off her legs.

"You look anxious," she comments after a moment.

I hold out my hand, idle in the air, showing her the shaking in my fingers. It doesn't take her longer than a second to scoop it up into her fingers, knitting them with mine.