Party

Harper

Groaning, I stared out the window as I was dying of boredom waiting for a customer to walk in, expecting someone to come in any moment now because it was pouring rain out there.

I watched as the cars drove by, pedestrians walked down the streets and the umbrellas being opened through the huge windows of the bakery, listening to the sound of rain drops falling against it loudly.

I had a half day shift so I can leave in about twenty minutes. Later, I have to go with Eliot to some party he was invited to along with my mom.

I was on cashier duty today and to my dismay there had been no customers this past hour.

Camille placed a tray of cookies on the counter beside me and gestured for me to put them on display. I did so and sat back down the the stool.

I've been busying myself by finishing assignments that are due next week, well that and thinking of a certain dark haired, devilishly handsome and tattooed boy that I haven't heard from since last week. He hadn't shown up at school.

I'm kind of worried about him but knowing that kind of person he is, I shouldn't be. I just can't help it.

I picked up my pencil again and continued working. The door finally swung open and for some reason I was expecting him but it was just one of our regulars.

I greeted her and went to prepare her usual. I gave it to her and she paid quickly, thanked me and was out of the bakery in no time. I sighed and went back to my homework again.

Apparently, my mom knows Eliot's friend's mom and she has an older son my age therefor my mom wants me to come along and I'm dreading it but she's going to pick me up as soon as my shift ends.

Every now and then I glanced at the clock as if it would change but it only moved at an agonizingly slow speed.

The door opened once again and I looked up from my work. My mom and Eliot walked in. I smiled at them and waved them over.

I could tell my mom was trying to get better, she's been coming home earlier than usual, drinking less, she even got a new job. I just hope she stays on this path. Eliot has been happier than ever because of this.

"Honey, is your shift done yet?" she asked, as she leaned against the counter in front of me. Eliot took a seat on the stool.

"Almost." I replied, five minutes. She nodded and I offered them some leftover cookies. He took one with no hesitation but she politely declined.

My mom preordered a box of pasties for the party and I prepared that earlier so she took the box and brought it to the car.

Since there was no customers, Camille said I could leave so I packed my stuff back in my bag and we walked out of the bakery.

I didn't have to go home to change because I was kind of already wearing something 'nice'. My outfit consisted of a mini black slip dress, a white long sleeved mock neck shirt, paired with black minimalist combat boots and obviously earrings.

We headed towards her car quickly as it was raining hard. Getting in, she drove off through the streets.

"Who's party is this again?" I asked, Eliot sighed loudly like he was annoyed. I laughed at him.